Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wall-E

Wall-E (Page 2)
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
So I may have missed this, but is Wall-E named as a nod to Walt Disney himself (Walter Elias Disney... Walt E. Disney.... Wall E)?
Waste Allocation Load Lifter•Earth-Class

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post

That's probably the funniest attempt at an insult I've heard this year!

Seriously, thanks for the laugh - it's been a rough week.

Good night, 'NN!

Since you didn't take a **** in this thread, I have to declare you the loser in the real man competition.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 09:30 PM

Just saw it. A close 2nd favorite PIxar movie, just behind Monsters Inc.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 04:47 AM

I saw it tonight. I thought it was really good. The paucity of dialogue was a great move (even on the Axiom there were still a lot of dialogue-light scenes, which is a rarity in films nowadays). Yeah, the idea of a love story or a robot movie isn't new, but the way it's executed here just felt fun and clever to me.

BTW, I haven't seen a million commercials for it, so I can't comment on those.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2008, 06:28 PM

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Since you didn't take a **** in this thread, I have to declare you the loser in the real man competition.
Why ?

Just because he pointed out how utterly stupid Kerrigan's comment was ?

-t

Cold Warrior
Jun 28, 2008, 06:41 PM

Have the crowds been heavy or just ok? I hate a packed theater.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Have the crowds been heavy or just ok? I hate a packed theater.
The theater was full when I went to see it. Then again, it wasn't one of those where you have to arrive three hours early and stand in line forever if you want a decent seat either. I doubt you're going to have a half-empty theater on opening day for any movie worth seeing.
Chuck
___

Cold Warrior
Jun 28, 2008, 06:47 PM

Good. I'm considering going tonight, maybe late evening. The last showing is at 10 pm, which might be a good time to catch it, especially if I want to avoid the squealing kiddies.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 09:29 PM

I just got back from Wall-E. I really enjoyed it. I was a bit surprised to see a Pixar film that was that gloomy, but it was very well done and very worth while. I liked all the little Mac references too. The crowds were pretty heavy, but the theater wasn't full. There were a couple empty rows. There weren't as many kids as I would have thought also.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Why ?

Just because he pointed out how utterly stupid Kerrigan's comment was ?

I would expect this sort of question from someone who thinks a turtle makes a good pet.

Real men have pets that can eat them, like crocodiles or polar bears.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 11:30 PM

turtle777 must be afraid of bears!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 11:38 PM

God can't you guys just focus on the damn movie? Let's just get another thread closed!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 01:30 AM

Saw it today, two thumbs up.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2008, 01:49 AM

Saw it again tonight. Seriously, do yourself a favor and watch it on a DLP projector if you can. The movie was absolutely stunning in hi-def. By far the best CGI I have ever seen.

After a 2nd viewing I have to say Wall-e is my favorite Pixar movie to date. It has a different feel to it that I really like. Kindof what I'd imagine if Miyazaki made a Pixar movie.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2008, 02:00 AM

Sadness.... I have to wait a while before it comes out in Japan!

Fricken December!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
God can't you guys just focus on the damn movie? Let's just get another thread closed!
Seriously, despite the efforts of some people, this thread is not about me, but a movie.

I took my kid sister to see it today. She is in elementary school, and therefore fits the target audience for this movie. In the theatre, there were tons of screaming babies and overeager moms, and there were even a few effeminate, henpecked dads who came along to supervise their babies.

From the row directly behind me, I heard a woman laughing non-stop during the first half of the film. Her group of friends were verbally summarizing every single event in the movie. I figured it was just a typical group of gen-x moms who had brought their infant children and therefore felt the need to explain every bit of the movie to their 2 year old daughters. But when I looked back, to my dismay I saw that it was a group of 20-something college students. There were no kids with them. These are the creepy "Kiddults" that Pixar silently markets their movies to. Instead of doing normal things like going to bars or working late on that case, they were getting their jollies by sitting in a dark room with a bunch of screaming children and a facile Disney movie playing on the screen. I couldn't help but be reminded of Michael Jackson, and all the lives he has ruined under similar circumstances.

As for the content of the movie, I thought it was okay. The movie got a bit dull during the second half, but it was brilliantly animated and somewhat thought provoking (for a child, I imagine) so I would recommend WALL•E (Not "Wall-E", as some of you others are saying) to any parent who is looking for a classic Disney flick to show their child of 1-10 years of age.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Jun 29, 2008 at 02:35 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2008, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I would expect this sort of question from someone who thinks a turtle makes a good pet.

Real men have pets that can eat them, like crocodiles or polar bears.
Yes, your pet-penis is furrier than mine.

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2008, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I took my kid sister to see it today. She is in elementary school, and therefore fits the target audience for this movie. In the theatre, there were tons of screaming babies and overeager moms, and there were even a few effeminate, henpecked dads who came along to supervise their babies.
Please stop making this thread be about your insecurities.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Please stop making this thread be about your insecurities.

He's just having a lend of us. He's one of the gay Canadians, isn't he?

Stupid Australian (non-)release dates. Countdown until this movie hits the interwebs...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2008, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
He's just having a lend of us.

Really?

Well then I lose. I thought I was the one who was joking.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 09:22 AM

isn't there something we can ban kerrigan for? trolling, perhaps?

i'm very excited to go and see this flick

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2008, 10:03 AM

But when I looked back, to my dismay I saw that it was a group of 20-something college students. There were no kids with them. These are the creepy "Kiddults" that Pixar silently markets their movies to. Instead of doing normal things like going to bars or working late on that case, they were getting their jollies by sitting in a dark room with a bunch of screaming children and a facile Disney movie playing on the screen. I couldn't help but be reminded of Michael Jackson, and all the lives he has ruined under similar circumstances.
You are missing the point of every Pixar film. Pixar creates films that anyone in any age group should be able to enjoy. That is why they are so successful, because they aren't just kiddie movies, everyone can enjoy them.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 10:13 AM

Seriously, despite the efforts of some people, this thread is not about me, but a movie.

From the row directly behind me, I heard a woman laughing non-stop during the first half of the film. Her group of friends were verbally summarizing every single event in the movie. I figured it was just a typical group of gen-x moms who had brought their infant children and therefore felt the need to explain every bit of the movie to their 2 year old daughters. But when I looked back, to my dismay I saw that it was a group of 20-something college students. There were no kids with them. These are the creepy "Kiddults" that Pixar silently markets their movies to. Instead of doing normal things like going to bars or working late on that case, they were getting their jollies by sitting in a dark room with a bunch of screaming children and a facile Disney movie playing on the screen. I couldn't help but be reminded of Michael Jackson, and all the lives he has ruined under similar circumstances.

As for the content of the movie, I thought it was okay. The movie got a bit dull during the second half, but it was brilliantly animated and somewhat thought provoking (for a child, I imagine) so I would recommend WALL•E (Not "Wall-E", as some of you others are saying) to any parent who is looking for a classic Disney flick to show their child of 1-10 years of age.
This is the most ridiculous strawman vitriol filled post I've seen on here in a long time.

It's just a ****ing movie. Take your insecurities elsewhere.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2008, 10:23 AM

I am not in the target audience for Wall-E, but I'm going to go see it as soon as I can. On the other hand, I think the "people" that were behind imitchell should have been ejected from the theater-that's not acceptable behavior in any movie theater, and even less so when you're talking about a film aimed at kids.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I am not in the target audience for Wall-E, but I'm going to go see it as soon as I can. On the other hand, I think the "people" that were behind imitchell should have been ejected from the theater-that's not acceptable behavior in any movie theater, and even less so when you're talking about a film aimed at kids.
they've got you drinking the kool-aid too?

jesus, what's happened to this place?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2008, 11:26 AM

The movie cost at least 180 mil to make? That seems a bit high.

Movie WALL-E - Box Office Data, News, Cast Information - The Numbers

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The movie cost at least 180 mil to make? That seems a bit high.

Movie WALL-E - Box Office Data, News, Cast Information - The Numbers

That does seem high.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2008, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That's Kerrigan. My theater experience was just fine

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2008, 11:56 AM

That does seem high.
Cars only cost 80 mil.

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 12:02 PM

I wonder what's driving (no pun intended) the increase with Wall•E.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2008, 12:12 PM

I'm 25-years-old, and I'm a PIXAR fanatic. I don't feel like any less of an adult for it; they're hilarious and brilliantly animated.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 01:56 PM

They had to pay Jonathan Ive to consult on design.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2008, 02:46 PM

I'm guessing Pixar's using fancier technology, attempting more ambitious setups (IIRC, they said that getting gravity right in this movie was a big challenge they wanted to attempt) and quite possibly paying its people better these days. Besides that, some movies just cost more than others. "Cars" was really cheap. For further comparison, "Finding Nemo" cost $95 million and "Ratatouille" cost $150 million.
Chuck
___

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 03:00 PM

The cost could be related to the number and size of the sets. Some of the earth sets are amazingly huge and detailed.

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 04:26 PM

Just got back from an afternoon screening. The theater was about 75% capacity. Didn't have any trouble getting a ticket (showed up at the box office 5 minutes before start time).

I liked the movie. Pixar-wise, it's probably #3 on my list. Ratatouille and Finding Nemo are somewhere at 1-2.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2008, 05:31 PM

I donno, I fit in that exact same group you described and I went to see the movie at 2:30 PM. Not sure what bars I should be going to, and I'm hourly at a 9-5 job, so they don't let me work weekends. What the heck should a college aged student be doing with their girlfriend during the summer at that hour, in your ideal, age defined world? I bet you think black people shouldn't go to school either... (Yay strawmen!)

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
... (Yay strawmen!)
Don't those get checked at the door?

Movie commentary, please.

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 08:17 PM

So did Auto remind anyone else of the thing from Flight of the Navigator?

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2008, 10:05 PM

I really enjoyed it. They did especially well with reproducing camera techniques, like rack focusing and various depth of field for different "lenses". And very nice work in making a character, a machine at that, sympathetic without dialogue.

And, no, the trailer was not the whole movie. Not by a long shot.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 10:28 PM

Did the roach have a name? Was he credited in the film?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2008, 10:33 PM

I took my kid sister to see it today. She is in elementary school, and therefore fits the target audience for this movie
I'm not sure how you get that its target market is young children. There was pretty much an equal mix of families, teenagers, and adult couples in the theater when my wife and I went.

Loved the movie, by the way.

Cold Warrior
Jun 29, 2008, 10:34 PM

I didn't stick around for the credits. If he didn't have one in the movie, I'm sure Disney will give him one for the toy marketing.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2008, 12:46 PM

Was the animated short before the movie any good? How does it rank among the other Pixar shorts like "For the Birds" or "Lifted?"

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Was the animated short before the movie any good? How does it rank among the other Pixar shorts like "For the Birds" or "Lifted?"
It was pretty good. I liked "For the Birds" better.

It was about a Magician and his hungry rabbit.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2008, 01:34 PM

I loved it, one of my favs for sure.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2008, 02:21 PM

I went with some friends and watched the movie again last night.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2008, 03:07 PM

When he was in space with eve he made a Mac alert sound.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2008, 04:19 PM

The movie rocks. Go see it.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Cold Warrior
Jun 30, 2008, 05:32 PM

I thought it was ok to meh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules