Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Settlement checks from liquid damage lawsuit arriving for iOS owners

Settlement checks from liquid damage lawsuit arriving for iOS owners
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 30, 2014, 04:09 PM

Participants in a class action lawsuit regarding liquid damage indicators for the iPhone and iPod touch are beginning to receive settlement checks, accounts say. In April 2013, Apple agreed to pay $53 million to compensate people who may have been denied warranty coverage because of the indicators. Their maker, 3M, admitted that they could be tripped simply by humidity. Apple later adjusted its policies to require additional checks before blocking repairs, but the lawsuit continued.

Checks are only going out to people denied iPhone warranty coverage on or before December 31, 2009, or iPod touch repairs on or prior to June 30, 2010. In the former category, the usual amount is said to be $251.55, peaking as high as $300. Payments for Touch repairs are generally lower. In any event, the checks can be deposited no later than January 21, 2015.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 30, 2014 at 05:42 PM. )

macmedia1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2014, 08:37 PM

Was real surprised about getting a check in the mail (especially of that amount). I originally thought I would get some coupon or discount off of some service but I was pleasantly surprised about getting that $250 check so many years later. Granted I was pretty angry at the time of bringing my iPhone 3G in for service on a intermittent power button that was refused under warranty but to get this much compensation for basically the amount I paid for the phone is a bonus. Nevertheless, this money will go back to Apple anyway as I spend thousands and thousands every year in new equipment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules