Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Transfer a G4 to a PC case...Easy?

Transfer a G4 to a PC case...Easy?
Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 10:11 PM

I'd like to transfer my G4 400mhz (Sawtooth) into a PC case. Would it be a difficult task? I figure this way I could install an extra cd-drive and a floppy drive along with my zip drive. Also I would have front access USB ports and if possible Firewire ports as well. I've never done anything like this, but I figure it can't be hard to learn. Here's a pic of the case I'd like to use (click on it for a larger view):

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Dapple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: Down by the baaaay, where the watermelons grooooooww
Feb 7, 2003, 01:32 PM

It shouldn't be that hard. I heard a story the other day about some guy getting his PC in a mac box, so I'm assuming that the Mac box standoffs would fit. About the only thing you might have trouble with is the power supply, but that should be easily remedied with a Mac.

D'oh. I forgot: If you have a good case with customizable standoffs, you can easily make the mac motherboard work as long as it has standard standoff dimentions(sp?).

By the way, if it's in a G3/G4 case with handles, can I have the case? I'm going to make another box for Macnn SETI crunching, and it would make a completely awesome LAN box.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
I'd like to transfer my G4 400mhz (Sawtooth) into a PC case. Would it be a difficult task? I figure this way I could install an extra cd-drive and a floppy drive along with my zip drive. Also I would have front access USB ports and if possible Firewire ports as well. I've never done anything like this, but I figure it can't be hard to learn. Here's a pic of the case I'd like to use (click on it for a larger view):

which site sells those cases? i kinda liked those cases ever since i say Fry's Electronic selling their own customed made PCs in those cases.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by RMXO:
which site sells those cases? i kinda liked those cases ever since i say Fry's Electronic selling their own customed made PCs in those cases.
www.Directron.com look for MacPC, it's "unofficial" name

------------------------------

I'm not sure what I would do with my G4 case...I guess I would either sell it or auction it. Anyhow, this isn't certain....I'm not sure if I'm willing to part with the G4's case. Plus I'm afraid that I might not know how to transfer the components.

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 02:11 AM

Also, the power supply on the Mac....it can only power 2 devices? Would I have to get another power supply?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2003, 05:16 PM

Funny you should mention that case.

I am looking at it for my PC.

It is also known as the Nexus iStyle, as well as the Atech AFT 6551. This case has been reviewed at Tom's Hardware.

By the way, does anyone have any links to interior pix of the G4 PowerMac cases? I want to have a look. And is the power supply a standard one or custom for the G4?

cmay123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 03:24 PM

The mac power supply is standard when it comes to the mounting holes, it will fit in a pc case, Dont use a pc power supply though, different wiring. oh, and just use some y adapters for the two power wires. I have boxes full of y adapters if you cant find any. oh and check out this web site http://www.macopz.com/buildamac/

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 04:08 AM

How do you use wire ties to secure a motherboard?
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

cmay123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 03:54 PM

i'm not sure what the deal with the wire ties is, all I did was drill a hole in the metal plating where the holes are and installed my own risers, if you dont have any risers that came with the pc case, just go to a local pc store, not best buy or anything, a local place and ask if they have any, they should be cheap.

Darkness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 04:34 PM

Get a Lian Li case, since the risers are removeable and arrangeable, which allows you to cut new square holes for mounting anywhere you need to.

ohm^n
Feb 25, 2003, 03:11 PM

Just be careful. I transfered my B&W G3 to an Antec case and I ended up trashing the mobo.. still don't know how.. It booted, but half the PCI slots got owned...

mrnobody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 10:51 AM

Go to

http://www.macopz.com/buildamac/

since you already have a G4, you won't have to go buy any more parts. If you use AirPort, you might have trouble, though.

<...a floppy drive along with my zip drive.>

How would you connect the floppy? A PC floppy wouldn't work because it uses a special IDE connector and the old auto-eject Apple ones wouldn't because they use a different special connector. I'd like to know what you would do.
-------------------------
"I have made good judjments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."
-George W. Bush

stonysleep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 07:16 AM

You might want to try this site:

G4 to ATX Case

It's for the AGP version, but it should help with most of the problems. The walkthrough seems to want to use the ATX power suply and change that which looks fairly simple, apart from that it's pretty much what u're trying to do. Like i say it's for the sawtooth motherboard rather than yikes, since they both came in the same size case it should be pretty much the same.

Forum Links
Forum Rules