Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook boots into a dos like screen?

iBook boots into a dos like screen?
Timan
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 08:16 AM

This morning I reformated my ibook and installed panther, it installed fine, and then booted into panther as normal, ran the updates, restarted again and then it came back fine again. I then restarted it and now right after the apple logo shows I get some dos like screen, I am unable to boot off the cd to install osx again what do i do? :S

Says IOKit Component Version 7.0 at the top

If i let it sit for a min at this dos window it says

localhost:/ root# ASC:rWPM Warning: Couldn't find IOPlatformMonitor
( Last edited by Timan; Jan 7, 2004 at 08:49 AM. )
- Tim

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 09:24 AM

What du you mean by "unable to boot from CD"? If no Open Firmware protection is enabled, you should be able to boot from other devices by pressing "c" (CD) or "option" (other devices). You can disable the OF protection by holding command+option+o+f during startup. Then enter "setenv security-mode none" (without the ").

Timan  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 09:34 AM

Apple told me to type in Exit and that seemed to fix the prob, was worrying my arse off..

Thanks though prob solved.
- Tim

ChadC
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 01:48 PM

I had the same type of problem with my iBook(500) after I installed Panther. I ended up targeting the drive from my Mac and reinstalling Panther then running diskwarrior and all of the Panther utilities, and then it ran fine. If I woulda just known to type 'Exit'. O well!

At least you got it fixed. I hate that worrying feeling to.

-Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2004, 07:15 PM

A workmate of mine had a similar problem with her (or her family) PC. Baby decided to pound on the keyboard and restarted the computer into DOS mode. I did a search and "exit" was one of the solutions...
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Forum Links
Forum Rules