Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Music Lingering in iTunes' Folder, but not Library File

Music Lingering in iTunes' Folder, but not Library File
SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2004, 07:14 PM

Hello,

I was wondering, is there any way to access or identify the music files in my iTunes folder that are still lingering around, even after I have deleted them from my iTunes application library?

When you delete a file within iTunes, you are asked if you want to remove the file from your computer and I think at this point I have forgotten to do so many times.

This kind of sounds stupid, but I was hoping I could quickly scan through the folder for remaining files and delete them for good.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

dtriska
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 11:33 PM

I suppose you could drag-and-drop your iTunes folder onto iTunes. iTunes will go through the folder and add any files that aren't already in the Library. Then, make a Smart Playlist that includes songs added today. From here, you'll need to find the files in the Library and delete them again, but put them in the Trash this time.

One easy way to find the files in the Library is to select all the files in the Smart Playlist and change some tag info, such as the artist (make something up). Then, find the made up artist in the Library, and delete all the songs.

SwarmyCurve  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2004, 11:35 PM

That is a smart idea. Thank you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules