Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Call to Unsanity/Geekspiff

Call to Unsanity/Geekspiff
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2007, 09:58 AM

Dear Unsanity and Geekspriff,

As you well know, the release of Leopard is drawing ever-nearer, and I'm sure you are as excited as most of us are here in the forums.

As a show of equal enthusiasm and loyalty to your market base, could you let us all in on what the plans are for your Leopard version GUI software?
How do you plan on using and taking advantage of new technologies like CoreAnimation?
Are you investigating how customizable the OS is? If so, are there customization plans for Spaces, TimeMachine, or any of the other new features in Leopard?

A general response with real information would be great, however unexpected.

Sincerely,

R

**This message has also been posted in the MacTHemes GUI forums**

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 23, 2007, 11:03 AM

They are probably having to re-write a ton of stuff. As Leopard no longer gets the GUI the same way. May even have to do a complete re-write.

That is what I dislike about themeing apps like this.

You don't NEED to them to theme Leopard. I know I wont.

Visualize
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2007, 02:04 PM

Who needs Unsanity LCC. when we have Colin from White Magic Labs .. He's been pushing out releases of his theme changer to end all theme changers for the last 2 zerls.

Maybe not.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 23, 2007, 02:07 PM

I stick with one GUI. I make it the way I like it and don't change. That's just how I am.

No need for changers.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Who needs Unsanity LCC. when we have Colin from White Magic Labs .. He's been pushing out releases of his theme changer to end all theme changers for the last 2 zerls.

Maybe not.
a) Macworld: News: XMorph designed to let you change OS X appearance (I released the first theme changer on OS X when I was 15, don't get me started...)
b) Theming 10.5 is not nearly as simple as any of you have thought yet, but discussion on that will have to wait till Friday. I for one have given up on releasing a theme changer. It's not worth it, and I have another piece of software almost complete.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Visualize
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2007, 03:52 PM

I changed my mind while out getting coffee.
( Last edited by Visualize; Oct 23, 2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: change of heart.)

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 23, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
b) Theming 10.5 is not nearly as simple as any of you have thought yet, but discussion on that will have to wait till Friday.
Well in the way that people have been doing it with SS anyhow. It's gonna be hard to change the system in that way with 10.5. In the ways I am referring to however, all that one has to do is make changes to files...
I for one have given up on releasing a theme changer. It's not worth it, .
Esp not when Apple has a themeing engine built in.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Well in the way that people have been doing it with SS anyhow. It's gonna be hard to change the system in that way with 10.5. In the ways I am referring to however, all that one has to do is make changes to files...
We'll talk more on Friday at 6 PM east coast time. For now, I wouldn't assume you're not going to have issues either. I've been planning on posting the last research I did on the most effective way to theme 10.5 without modifying the file system or patching. Maybe it'll be something you're interested in. It requires some terminal work and has some usage implications, but it could be something that could be built into a program. I'm just not interested in pursuing it at this point.

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Esp not when Apple has a themeing engine built in.
I think this is the only way things are going to work well. Apple is going to have to come up with an official method of modifying applications. Who knows. Maybe they will someday.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 24, 2007, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
We'll talk more on Friday at 6 PM east coast time. For now, I wouldn't assume you're not going to have issues either. I've been planning on posting the last research I did on the most effective way to theme 10.5 without modifying the file system or patching. Maybe it'll be something you're interested in. It requires some terminal work and has some usage implications, but it could be something that could be built into a program. I'm just not interested in pursuing it at this point.
I don't mind replacing images. I really don't. I remember back in the day when I'd hot swap the extras.rsrc to test a theme change. Not one problem.
I think this is the only way things are going to work well. Apple is going to have to come up with an official method of modifying applications. Who knows. Maybe they will someday.
I mean it already has a themeing engine built in. It's just made for it's theme. And as long as you go by the same dimensions ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules