Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > colors on new pb-screen

colors on new pb-screen
desillusion.com
Oct 29, 2003, 01:43 PM

i'm not really happy with the way my new pb displays colors, they look a bit "washed out" and not as bright i'd expect them to..

which color-settings do use in your system preferences?
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 04:41 PM

I agree, Macs come with poor default LCD calibration.

An ANY Mac I highly recommend calibrating. Jaguar's calibration (Display Preferences) isn't that precise, so I recommend SuperCal from versiontracker.com if you have Jaguar or earlier.

But Panther has GREAT calibration tools built into Preferences. Easier than SuperCal, too.

I also recommend using "Best For Flat Panel" smoothing in General Preferences. In Panther, that looks even better (less color artifacting) than in Jaguar.

Panther's the way to go--and calibration can make a HUGE difference.
nagromme

desillusion.com  (op)
Oct 29, 2003, 05:51 PM

thanks, so one more reason to wait for my panther to arrive =)

Ti X
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 10:07 PM

I tried the new calibrater in Panther out of curiousity, as I have used SuperCal for the past two years and have been very satisfied with those profiles. Anyway, I still prefer the SuperCal generated profile over Panther's on all of my PowerBooks. The SuperCal profile is much deeper in color, and more accurate in my opinion.
15" AI PowerBook
17" PowerBook 1GB RAM
15" PowerBook 512MB RAM
700Mhz iBook

desillusion.com  (op)
Oct 30, 2003, 04:36 AM

i just tried supercal..
i like the many options it gives me, but i'm still not really satisfied.. colors are more vivid now, but they tend to be too "blue" and, what's more problematic, it's now even harder to tell a difference between similar shades like grey and white..

can anyone who succesfully calibrated his 12" pbook email me his color profile? would be much appreciated, because this is really starting to annoy me as i need accurate colors for my design work..

colorprofile(at)desillusion.com

thanks in advance!

Tariq-1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 09:59 AM

You simply will not get accurate colors off of a 12" PowerBook for critical use. Your best bet would be to plug in an external monitor for such use. I ended up returning my otherwise great 12" recently due to my dissapointment with the screen quality. Simply not up to PowerBook stantdards of old in my opinion. If you must have a more accurate screen on the PB, either find a close out 1GHZ Ti(Club mac had new ones last week with SuperDrives for $2000!). The 12" PB screen is the cheaper ones used in the iBooks by all accounts and my attempt to calibrate it for even close to accurate color was useless. The Black levels are terrible(no true black), the colors are washed out(and if you use pc gamma or try to saturate the colors correctly, you will not have a good greyscale spectrum). And the reds and yellows, well, the reds look sort of magenta like(forget a true deep red) and the yellows were aweful(I compared the Yellow Flower on my homepage - Tariq.com - side by side on my old Lombard Powerbook, my Mitsubishi Diamondtron CRT and the new 12") the Lombard and CRT were night and day better than the 12" screen in all regards with of course the CRT giving the best results. That's just my experience though(but other reviews on the web echo the poor 12" PB Screen).

Tariq

Originally posted by desillusion.com:
i just tried supercal..
i like the many options it gives me, but i'm still not really satisfied.. colors are more vivid now, but they tend to be too "blue" and, what's more problematic, it's now even harder to tell a difference between similar shades like grey and white..

can anyone who succesfully calibrated his 12" pbook email me his color profile? would be much appreciated, because this is really starting to annoy me as i need accurate colors for my design work..

colorprofile(at)desillusion.com

thanks in advance!

Forum Links
Forum Rules