Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cheapest way to display 15" AlBook -> widescreen TV?

Cheapest way to display 15" AlBook -> widescreen TV?
nagromme
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 08:45 PM

Someone I know has a 22" LCD widescreen HDTV--no VGA input. And I don't need VGA quality anyway--I just want to do widescreen gaming and presentations. (I have at least 2 games that support 1280x854 and don't use small text displays.) Composite or S-video quality would be sufficient.

I assume the NTSC TV out from my AlBook will be useless for widescreen, since NTSC is always 4:3, right?

Do I have any options? How does a DVD player connect to a widescreen TV? Do I need component cables from my PB somehow?

TIA!
nagromme

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 9, 2003, 09:15 PM

I think the supported resolutions depend on the TV you're hooking your PB up to.

I have a US 15"Ti Book hooked up to a German (multistandard - PAL/NTSC) Loewe TV (16:9) via S-VHS, and in mirroring mode, I can use the Powerbooks highest resolution of 1152x768.

I'd try a simple S-VHS cable first - you might not need anything more elaborate than that.

good luck + cheers.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 12:50 AM

Interesting. How does the PB know the signal is going to a widescreen device? Or to widescreen PBs list widescreen resolutions even when connected to a 4:3 TV?

(I've only used my Lombard with TV... AlBook arrives in a day or two.)
nagromme

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 01:53 AM

If the LCD TV does not have a DVI or VGA port, the quality is most likey going to be very poor, ie. don't count on actually being able to read small text.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 01:58 AM

Right, as I said this is for presentations and games. Things I do fine on my Lombard going to a regular TV--but the widescreen issue will be new for me.
nagromme

capetown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:
Right, as I said this is for presentations and games. Things I do fine on my Lombard going to a regular TV--but the widescreen issue will be new for me.
If you go to screen settings from the preference pane, you will see two screens. One for tv and one for monitor. Just pick the resolution you want to try, and perhaps select the option for best for video and overscan. See what is best for you.

A shortcut is to use the screen icon on the top apple menu bar.

Cheers

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 08:16 AM

Also, most 16:9 televisions are smart enough to "stretch" the image intelligently for proper display. This works well for video (anamorphic? sp?) signals, but may not work as well for a game/presentation/etc.

desillusion.com
Dec 10, 2003, 09:32 AM

how can i hook up the revb 12" pbook to my sony-tv (has a/v cinch input)? is there a mini-dvi-to-a/v adapter and is that all i need?
finally here and absolutely flawless:
powerbook 12" 1ghz rev b combo 768 mb ram bt-mouse

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 01:33 PM

I didn't even know what a cinch connector was until I looked on Google... I call them RCA!

You need a US$19 adapter from Apple. It has mini-DVI on one end, and BOTH composite (RCA) and S-Video on the other end.

Make sure you buy the right adapter: Apple makes a bunch of similar ones, including a mini-VGA one that won't work for a rev-B/PCI 'Book.
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules