Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro needs a Dock!

Macbook Pro needs a Dock!
davidsmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 06:07 PM

I have just purchased an Acer laptop as a PC machine as unfortunately I need to use one as a second machine. The one thing it really has going for it is that you can plug in the machine straight to a dock which contains all the ports anyone could require, but my main point being that ALL cables are hidden and out of the way on my desk.

Yes, I still use my trusty TiBook 1Ghz as my main workhorse as it's just as fast as a 2Ghz Centrino in a PC and it also has all it's ports at the back, so again I dont have cables hanging out the sides, getting in the way!

So, my point being WHY has Apple not provided with the AluBooks and now the MacBook Pro, not only ports on the sides, but also a dock socket at the back and an optional dock for this? Is it the design of the hinge that they really needed to get right from the disastrous TiBooks? (mine is on it's second set of hinges) or will we see that in the next redesign of the MacBook Pro?

I was going to buy the first updated Powerbook when Apple released it in the form of the Intel chip, but feel that due to the pressure of not being able to move forward with the G4 Powerbook, they have just rushed into getting an Intel on the market using the existing design.

So, in conclusion, hurry up and bring out a decent professional laptop Apple and put a dock in it!

terigox
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 09:47 PM

I somewhat agree with you david, and I'm not quite sure why mac hasn't really made a doc for their systems. It is pretty convenient especially in the business world... or really anyone that ends up using their mac on a desk and on the road.

Typing this from my new macbook, I am not seeing how the design could house a dock in the back... this was a sacrafice in my opinion for size. Because there is limited space on the sides for ports to begin with, mac decided to put the exhaust in the back again, much like the powerbooks. With the size of the screen, and the exhaust in the back, it is possible but probablly pretty difficult to put a dock in the back. However, by looking at this system, the way the power and a USB on the left hand side are right next to each other, I don't see how it would be so hard to make a USB dock, I know I've seen something like that around... which has your network, and keyboard, mouse, etc that all comes through that 1 usb port.

Just me rambling I guess, but I've got mixed feelings about what I'd give up on the macbook to have a true docking port on it!

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2006, 10:49 PM

I would love a dock as well. That is one sacrifice that laptop users make, a very cluttered desk with cables, even if they don't have that many things, all the cables just make the desktop seem crazy. Currently to my ibook, I have a cable from the mouse, speakers, digi camera, usb printer, firewire drive, and ipod on the desk that always have to be shared through one usb port. I admit, the sacrifice is worth it for the portability but still, it would be an extremely nice option.

hmp
Mar 2, 2006, 05:35 AM

There's always BookEndz Docks - I haven't had any experience with them, but I'm sure they'll be coming out with an MBP version soon...

Forum Links
Forum Rules