Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is this SATA card bootable?

Is this SATA card bootable?
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 11:27 AM

Sonnet Tempo-X eSATA 4+4 3GB 8 port Serial ATA II (SATA II) PCI-X Host Controller
OWC part #STITSATAIIX44
Does anyone know the following:

Would this PCI-X SATA card support booting a G5 (non-dual core) off it?

Would it support booting a striped RAID off it (data security issues aside)?

Can't find anything regarding bootability (or not) in the product materials available online.
Thanks a ton.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 12:52 AM

Answer to my own question: No. The card is not bootable. Only Sonnet's two-port card is bootable.

Thanks anyways, guys.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 11, 2006, 08:17 AM

I couldn't find any info on what it takes for a SATA card to be bootable in a Mac to start with... Where is this information available?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 08:44 AM

AFAIK, all Firmtek cards are bootable....

Before I bought my 1s2 about a year ago, I researched it thoroughly and did NOT find anything that said otherwise.......
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I couldn't find any info on what it takes for a SATA card to be bootable in a Mac to start with... Where is this information available?
The Sonnet FAQ page mentions that the two-port card is bootable, and that none of their 4+ port cards (internal, external, 2+2 or multiport cards) are bootable.

The statement about the Firmtek/Seritek cards is correct; I think they're all bootable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules