Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Force Firefox 2 to certain text mag level?

Force Firefox 2 to certain text mag level?
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 01:41 AM

I like to use Firefox with the text enlarged up one level (View -> Text Size -> Increase). Problem is, it resets to default for every new window/tab and when the app is closed. Setting a minimum font size doesn't produce the same result. And setting a larger default font size also doesn't help, as many sites (this one included) specify their own font/size.

Any way to force a certain mag level? I've looked through about:config but nothing seemed to catch my eye.

Thanks

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 01:47 AM

Uh, change the font size in Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors?

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 07:42 AM

From the original post:
Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
And setting a larger default font size also doesn't help, as many sites (this one included) specify their own font/size.
Originally Posted by wataru
Uh, change the font size in Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors?
No. Setting a larger default font size only works if a website does not specify its own fonts. For example, MacSurfer does not specify what font or size to use. Your suggestion will indeed do the job for that site.

On the otherhand, MacNN's front page and forum specifies exactly what font and size to use. To make the fonts in this forum bigger, I would have to either set a minimum font size of 12 or 13 points. That will screw up the formatting of many other websites (like CNN). If I tell Firefox to completely ignore a website's specified fonts and always use the fonts I choose, I still have to set a high minimum size, since the site's font is overridden, but not the site's specified size.

Using the Text Size Increase (cmd +) magnifies all fonts on the screen up one size. This is the effect I want to force. As far as I can tell, it can't be done without hitting "cmd +" for each window or tab opened.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 08:43 AM

Yeah, sorry, I didn't read your post very carefully.

Don't know what to tell you then.

mindwaves
Feb 15, 2007, 04:50 PM

Use OmniWeb. I think they have a per site preference.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Use OmniWeb. I think they have a per site preference.
Actually I do. I own two licenses. But periodically I need to use Firefox (and I use it all the time on my Windows machine and have the same font size issue there).

Cold Warrior
Feb 17, 2007, 10:35 AM

I just tell FF to use my own fonts and sizes. This has been working well for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules