Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any Citrix users? New Mac client is great!

Any Citrix users? New Mac client is great!
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2007, 11:39 PM

I am unfortunately forced to use Citrix-based apps when accessing my work's network from home. The Mac client always suffered from some limitations, and for whatever reason the first Universal Binary client lacked some encryption features that are required for me to log in. And while the older PPC version worked fine for the most part on my Intel-based Mac, it always lacked some features that made the Windows version so much better that it was more convenient for me to run the Windows version via Parallels in the co-op mode (or whatever Parallels calls the desktop sharing mode - don't recall exactly at the moment).

Anyway, new version is out today. Can be found at VersionTracker or your favorite Mac download site.

Its great. Universal Binary. The missing encryption modes have been restored. Supports rootless window mode, so Citrix app windows can be resized freely and share the Mac's desktop natively. Speed also appears to have been improved, and the arrow cursor for Windows apps is drawn properly (used to be about 2/3 size).

This makes my life so much easier. Thanks Citrix guys.

passmaster16
Senior User
Oct 24, 2007, 02:58 PM

I'll have to try out the new version 10 client. I'm the Citrix admin at my place of work. I use Citrix from my Mac quite a bit. Any improvement in the way the client works with OS X will be worth it to me. Funny that we'll have a few people here and there that ask us if there is a way to access Citrix from their Macs. While we really don't support them, they are lucky that I have one at home so I make the instructions available to them

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2007, 11:42 PM

Im confused guys, I access Citrix (work network) from home but it uses Safari - I log into Safari and it uses Java to display everything, would this app make it faster?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2007, 12:07 AM

The app is better integrated, and things like printing work better. We can't use the Java client at work because printing just doesn't work.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2007, 12:32 AM

Argh... I just went looking for the "new" citrix client since it's broken in 10.5... Thread is from October.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2007, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Argh... I just went looking for the "new" citrix client since it's broken in 10.5... Thread is from October.
Works fine for me in Leopard with one minor bug - on my two Intel machines, there is a minor graphical artifact in the scroll bars of Windows apps. Does not affect functionality. Does not seem to occur on my one remaining PowerPC system (a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook G4)

ehunt
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the update..my work is switching over to Citrix and I use my MacBook to remote in, good to know it'll work well!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2008, 11:59 AM

I didn't see a version mentioned, but MacUpdate is showing an update as of today to a Citrix ICA Client, v10.00.600 — if that matters.

Figured I'd post it here in case its newer than what you're using.

Citrix ICA Client 10.00.600 - MacUpdate

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 2, 2008, 07:17 PM

Just a FYI, CW..

The version listed on macupdate today is actually the version released on 12/7, which is the version that's not working correctly for our client with leopard.

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 10:58 PM

I downloaded the version posted on MacUpdate today. It seems to be newer than the one I was using previously (splash screen no longer says "beta") and seems to be working on Leopard without any trouble (used it pretty much all day today), both on a PPC and on an Intel machine.

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2008, 02:23 AM

I'd love to use something like that, especially with Excel about to get too pretty for my scientific data on the 15th. Anyone know if they offer a student discount?

passmaster16
Senior User
Jan 7, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
I downloaded the version posted on MacUpdate today. It seems to be newer than the one I was using previously (splash screen no longer says "beta") and seems to be working on Leopard without any trouble (used it pretty much all day today), both on a PPC and on an Intel machine.
Do you have trouble typing capital letters with the v10 client? I have trouble typing caps, but only when attempting to use RDP from the Citrix. Other apps seem to work fine so the problem appears to be specific to remote desktop. Neither shift or caps lock works. Therefore I cannot log into my remote PC at the office due to the case sensitive password.

Forum Links
Forum Rules