Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > CoreAudio not responding...

CoreAudio not responding...
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 10:24 PM

I've got a process called "coreaudiod" in my Activity Monitor listing which has a Not Responding indicator.

Has anyone else had this happen, or is my OS (10.4.2) install in need of a redo??

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 11:22 PM

What happens if you kill it?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2005, 12:23 PM

what happens if you totally shut down, wait a minute and start up again?? If that doesn't fix it, you might need to do an archive and install of the OS

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2005, 12:56 PM

It'll eventually stop responding after a reboot. Haven't just tried to kill the process yet, but not sure if it'll cause any instability.

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2005, 05:47 PM

Sounds like you need to do an archive and install of the OS

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 03:31 PM

Naw, I see this too on my G5. Doesn't seem to have any ill effects. I think it's safe to ignore it. Sound still works like I expect it to.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota
Naw, I see this too on my G5. Doesn't seem to have any ill effects. I think it's safe to ignore it. Sound still works like I expect it to.
Thanks. At least its not just me. Perhaps the (massive) 10.4.3 update will fix it.

loudgazelle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 09:49 PM

i get this too. I think it's the reason iChat doesn't make noise when someone IM's me now. A reboot fixed it last time, but you're not supposed to have to reboot this OS. argh...

I didn't upgrade from 10.3, 10.4 shipped on this G5 when I bought it. I'd hate to have to reinstall the freaking OS.

loudgazelle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 09:55 PM

i was able to quit it using Activitiy monitor... it made my speakers output these clicking noises for about half a second.

I tried to re-launch it from the terminal using "sudo coreaudiod", but it told me "'com.apple.audio.systemsoundserver' server already active". when I looked back in Activity Monitor, it was running again and didn't say "not responding". I'm not sure if it re-launched on it's own or if what I did relaunched it.

in any case, my computer is still running stable and iChat is making sounds when I get new IM's now.

Time to report this on the apple forums if someone already hasn't.

loudgazelle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 09:57 PM

curses! now it says "not responding" again.

mrmachine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2005, 05:53 AM

i get this problem with some regularity. i can't determine the cause. while sound still works even though it is "not responding", i've found the volume to be significantly reduced. you can safely quit the process from activity monitor, and (i assume) launchd restarts it instantly. when i do this, the volume jumps back to normal levels instantly.

on a possibly related note, occasionally when taking screenshots to paste into photoshop cs2 --command shift 4, then hold control and drag the mouse to copy the selected area into the clipboard -- i sometimes hear some loud static for about half a second. it doesn't matter if i'm playing any music or not. anyone else had this?

i hope the (massive) 10.4.3 update is full of bug fixes.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2005, 05:30 PM

Yeah, I get this too. I'm also one who doesn't like to restart the system and I'm guessing that's why Apple supplied the delightful SystemStarter command in the terminal.

It restarts the core services or some startup items anyway without rebooting your system and it leaves all your user apps running.

You have to run it as sudo. It's actually one of the commands in the default "On My Command" contextual menu.

I only discovered it restarted the coreaudiod thing out by accident. I was actually using mlMac and for some bizarre reason, it hung up my kernel_task so that it used all my CPU, but I was wary about quitting that. Just as a shot in the dark, I ran the SystemStarter command and not only did it restart my kernel-task but it restarted coreaudiod and it left all my open programs open.

I love not having to reboot .

Coreaudiod still crashes once in a while so it still needs sorting out. I don't even know why we have it. It's a Tiger-only program that seems to do nothing. Panther ran fine without it.
( Last edited by osxrules; Oct 20, 2005 at 05:41 PM. )

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2005, 07:58 PM

I got an error that said something about a new post and it didn't update the main page with a new post message so this post is to try and fix it.

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2005, 03:22 PM

omg this happens to me too. and some ichat agent thing also never responds. It is very annoying knowing that it always happens. i quit the progresses but they always come back on their own.

Here is a picture.

Forum Links
Forum Rules