Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Better bandwidth: 801.11g or phoneline network adapters?

Better bandwidth: 801.11g or phoneline network adapters?
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 12:50 PM

Here's the deal... I'd like to have my wife's iMac and my desktop share a common iPhoto library (large, roughly 8GB). Changes are made frequently, so its would be very inconvenient to have to maintain two separate copies of the library. I'm thinking about putting it instead on a network-accessable volume and having both machines access it from there.

Here's a wrinkle. While my machine is on my little home 1Gbps network, my wife's iMac G5 is connected via Airport Extreme at the other end of the house. Running ethernet to it would be very, very difficult, if not impossible. There is, however, a standard RJ-11 phone jack next to the iMac.

The performance though of trying to access all these images via Airport really kind of sucks. I've seen ethernet-to-phoneline home networking doohickies at places like CompUSA...

So, which would give me better real-world thoughput - Airport Extreme (theoretical 54Mbps) or an ethernet-to-phoneline connection? Anyone know??

Edit: What about powerline adapters?? How well do they perform?? Linksys says it runs at 14Mbps.
( Last edited by Cadaver; Jan 15, 2006 at 12:58 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules