Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Common network iTunes libary. Possible?

Common network iTunes libary. Possible?
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 01:51 PM

I'd like to share an iTunes library with all the machines on my network (all are authorized to play iTMS songs, too). I don't want to simply use iTunes' built-in sharing, since the shared tracks don't show up on the iLife/iWork media browsers. But, I want a single common library on a networked volume for all my machines.

I'm sharing the appropriate volume via the network, but pointing networked machines iTunes library location (via iTunes' library location preference) still doesn't seem to work - the tracks don't show on the networked machines.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Am I being clear enough or do you need more info?

delete
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 02:08 PM

This is interesting. I'm about to try the exact same thing. I went throught the iTunes forum at the Apple site and people mentioned a setup of sharing a folder, but I don't recall them sharing the actual library, One thing I gathered (I think) is that the folder may be common, but the libraries would be different. In other words if an addition were made to the folder the individual computers would have to "add" the new tracks to their individual libraries. Does this make sense? I may have this totally wrong!

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 03:31 PM

So far, I haven't been able to make it work.

I can share a single iPhoto library with several different machines by networking the volume and pointing each machine's iPhoto preferences to it (though only one machine can access it at any given time, which is fine. Other machines will give a "library locked" message). But I can't seem to find a way to do the same thing with an iTunes library.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 04:45 PM

Well this could maybe work in theory:

Put your library + library files (the ones found in the Music dir in your home dir, the XMLs) on your server machine.

Now on the "client" machines you delete all the iTunes data you can find. Fire up iTunes and iTunes should recreate those XMLs and the Library folder. Make sure that iTunes points to your local Music directory. Now you go in the terminal and replace the iTunes library and those XML files with sym links pointing to the real iTunes Library folder and the real XMLs on the server machine.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 04:46 PM

Dp.

EDIT: Search for this subject. Maybe search for "symbolic links". I recall replying to simaler threads before (maybe under my previous name, Powaqqatsi). It could make you wiser.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 04:51 PM

Put your iTunes folder in the Shared folder in Users. You or the other users can create aliases in their music folder to that iTunes folder in Shared.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 04:51 PM

*Double post*

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 06:38 PM

Yes this is possible. Get a hard drive. Format it in FAT32. Put it in an enclosure (or buy external)
Linksys sells a piece of hardware that will network a harddrive without a computer.

All your computers will be able to access it.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
Put your iTunes folder in the Shared folder in Users. You or the other users can create aliases in their music folder to that iTunes folder in Shared.
I know this works for multiple users on the same computer, but what about users on different computers?

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
Yes this is possible. Get a hard drive. Format it in FAT32. Put it in an enclosure (or buy external) Linksys sells a piece of hardware that will network a harddrive without a computer.

All your computers will be able to access it.
Why? I've already got the data on a networked volume. Or is iTunes.app actually checking to see if the files reside on an actual Mac or on a non-Mac volume (like an NAS device, etc)?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I know this works for multiple users on the same computer, but what about users on different computers?

Why? I've already got the data on a networked volume. Or is iTunes.app actually checking to see if the files reside on an actual Mac or on a non-Mac volume (like an NAS device, etc)?
I say Fat32, so PCs and macs can use it. And i like the idea of sharing the drive without a computer because you don't have to depend on a single machine to stay on.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
I say Fat32, so PCs and macs can use it. And i like the idea of sharing the drive without a computer because you don't have to depend on a single machine to stay on.
But that still doesn't answer the main question - if iTunes wont share an actual iTunes library networked off another Mac, why would it over a NAS (network accessible storage; your FAT drive in this case)?

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 07:39 AM

I've just shared a iTunes Library across the network to two Macs, with 'iTunes Music' folder hosted on a Xserve and alased (if that's a word?) to the local Mac Music folder and local versions of 'iTunes Music' and 'iTunes Music Library.xml'

hope that makes sense?

while this worked and didn't come up with the this file is Locked blah, blah warning that you get if you alas the whole folder, i doubt it'll update across the Macs if you add new music to the the library - i haven't tried this yet as someone wants me to work, tsk.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 09:48 AM

My advice wasn't good enough ? Anyway, I doubt that aliases will work correctly when adding or deleting music from the library.

Forum Links
Forum Rules