Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Video clips in Movie folder causes Front Row to quit.

Video clips in Movie folder causes Front Row to quit.
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 12:40 PM

I have about 80 files in my ~/movies folder... many different file types (.mov, .mpeg, .avi, divx, etc) and file sizes. Anyway, when I access "Movies" with Front Row, it will start to bring up the list of titles then instantly crash back to the desktop. I can reactivate Front Row, but the process will repeat when I try to access "Movies."

If I empty out my ~/movies folder, Front Row behaves normally, showing just whats in my iTunes videos lists (ones classified as "movie").

Before I start adding 80 files one at a time and testing each time, any thoughts on what filetypes might be giving Front Row such a hard time? I think the error is occuring when Front Row tries to generate those nifty previews on the left-hand side of the screen. I do have Flip4Mac installed (the freebe new version courtisy of Microsoft) to handle AVI files through Quicktime. I haven't yet had a chance to try deactivating it.

Any thoughts? Anyone have problems with random video clips in your home directory's movie folder and Front Row?

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 09:50 PM

I have the same thing happening to me (imac core duo with all the latest updates 10.4.5, etc) and for me, the culprit were 2 divx files.

luckily, for me, the folder only had 8 files, so i was able to isolate it pretty quickly.

does anyone have any ideas or programs that would fix the divx files?
it is not just front row, if you have columns enabled in finder, then the finder window will close when it tries to show the preview. the finder window also closes if you right click and "get info"

these files play just fine in vlc.

so, any ideas?
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
I have the same thing happening to me (imac core duo with all the latest updates 10.4.5, etc) and for me, the culprit were 2 divx files.

luckily, for me, the folder only had 8 files, so i was able to isolate it pretty quickly.

does anyone have any ideas or programs that would fix the divx files?
it is not just front row, if you have columns enabled in finder, then the finder window will close when it tries to show the preview. the finder window also closes if you right click and "get info"

these files play just fine in vlc.

so, any ideas?
I haven't actually had any time to do any further investigating, though I don't really use Front Row all that much to be honest (installed it mainly to play).

I'd file a bug report with Apple, but since my machine isn't exactly offically supported, I'm not sure my bug report would be treated as valid.

Chito
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 10:22 PM

iDVD 6 themes were having a problem with avi files in the movies folder, maybe it's the same kind of problem.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules