Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 3 cheers for AppleCare!

3 cheers for AppleCare!
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 10:30 PM

Huzzah!

On Saturday afternoon, I returned home to a PowerMac G5 (DP2.5GHz) that had apparently died while I was out. No power, no fans, no nothin'. The usual power manager reset and standard troubleshooting procedures yielded no luck.

On Sunday, I brought it to my local Apple store (glad I've got one 20 minutes away) for repair. Yesterday, they called today and said my machine was ready to be picked up, though I couldn't get it until today.

They had to replace:
-Power supply
-Main logic board
-Both processors
-Front panel board

Boy, whatever died inside, it took a few things with it (presuming they didn't just automatically replace it all anyway)! Glad it didn't also hose both my hard drives and my PCI cards and my video card. Memory modules so far seem OK and pass the extended memory tests.

If not for AppleCare, it would have been an $1800 repair!!! Actually, it would have been a new MacBook Pro, but none the less, at least it was free.

Anyway, just wanted to share my "$300 extended warranty pays for itself" story.

reader50
Administrator
May 3, 2006, 10:49 PM

So does this mean you were lucky, or that you were unlucky?

Glad to hear it worked out. I'm pretty sure your G5 DP 2.5 would eat a MacBook Pro for breakfast.

If you hadn't had AppleCare, how far would you have been out of the regular 1-year warranty?

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by reader50
If you hadn't had AppleCare, how far would you have been out of the regular 1-year warranty?
About 75 days. Typical, eh.

(I like your sig pic, BTW)

Forum Links
Forum Rules