Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dog the Bounty Hunter loses extradition hearing

Dog the Bounty Hunter loses extradition hearing
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2007, 03:00 PM

"Dog" The Bounty Hunter Loses Extradition Battle

For those of you who have seen the reality TV show "Dog the Bounty Hunter," you've probably heard that he's wanted by Mexican police for bounty hunting in Mexico (which apparently is illegal).

Several years ago, "Dog" tracked Andrew Luster, the heir to the Max Factor fortune and a convicted multi-time rapist, to Mexico and brought him back to the US. Luster was sentenced (and is currently serving) 124 years in prison for rapes he committed.

Mexico has requested, and a federal judge has approved, Dog's extradition to Mexico to stand trial for bounty hunting. He faces up to 4 years in a Mexican prison.

So this guy, Dog, brings back a fugitive who is now serving 124 years in prison for (multiple) rape, and the US is going to send him to Mexico where he himself will likely serve jail time. Personally, I think this is crap and the State Department should be getting involved. It would be one thing if you were bounty hunting a traffic ticket dodger, another thing entirely for someone sentenced to 120+ years in prison for rape. I call bullsh** on this one.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 03:10 PM

4 years in a Mexican prison is probably about equal to 124 years in the luxurious US prison Luster will be held in.

As much as this sucks he probably knew all "hunting" rules before he went about breaking them. I am sure if he is forced to serve the 4 years he won't make this mistake again.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 03:11 PM

Law is a mixture of good intent and exploitation.

In this case, Mexico has an array of people who were wealthy enough to escape their home country and bribe Mexican authorities to be left in peace. It's their version of the "Cayman Islands bank account," only they hold rapists and murderers instead of stolen money.

Does anyone believe Mexican Law is not an oxymoron?
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2007, 03:16 PM

I can't say I feel sorry for the guy. He knew what he was up against when he went there, I'm sure. He took his chances and he lost. I wouldn't take such chances, whether Mexican law is an oxymoron or not.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 03:16 PM

Kidnapping is no minor crime either. Imagine if some random Mexican flew to the US, found a guy that was convicted of rape in Mexico, put him on a private jet and took him back to have him serve his sentance. He's no agent of the Mexican government, he's just a guy.

Seems like a dumb idea to me.

See how the mexicans issued a warrant for Dog's arrest? Then he had the opportunity to contest his extradition to Mexico in front of a judge? Wouldn't Mexicans want the same protections? Maybe they could have just sent a bounty hunter to find him, put him in the trunk of a car and smuggle him back into mexico to stand trial.

ImpulseResponse

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 03:22 PM

The US is Mexico's bitch. If we're willing to send two border guards to prison for doing their jobs, giving them Dog is nothing in comparison.

We should make a deal with Mexico: They take back their 10-20K illegal invaders and we'll give 'em Dog. But it won't actually be Dog, it'll be Paris Hilton in a Dog disguise, but by the time they find out it'll be too late.

Atomic Rooster
Feb 17, 2007, 03:31 PM

In most countries it's call kidnapping. The US is weird.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 03:43 PM

Dog did violate Mexican law in order to get paid. He got paid. Now he should have to answer for the violation. That much I agree with.

But I disagree with that Mexican law.

Bounty hunting is a capitalistic solution to bureaucratic inefficiency. When bureaucratic inefficiency = rapists running amok, I say let the capitalists fix the hole. The "Golly, we wouldn't want the serial rapist to experience an unpleasant journey in the trunk of a car" doesn't really compel me to think otherwise. As for Dog getting that treatment, I'm sure he knows it's a dog eat dog world out there.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
In most countries it's call kidnapping. The US is weird.
In most countries, the police are kidnappers?

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
The US is Mexico's bitch. If we're willing to send two border guards to prison for doing their jobs, giving them Dog is nothing in comparison.
It was their job to try to cover up the fact that they shot the guy in the ass? Because it sounds like that's what they went to jail for.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 17, 2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
Dog did violate Mexican law in order to get paid. He got paid. Now he should have to answer for the violation. That much I agree with.
Yeah, except that Dog didn't get paid the bounty on Luster.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2007, 04:34 PM

The end doesn't justify the means.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2007, 05:42 PM

That's the point of extradition treaties morons.

Especially with Mexico. The US already got them to capitulate in cases where the suspect faces life in prison. If you want further concessions I don't see the harm in sending one fat hillbilly back there.

Let the trailer trash rot.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2007, 10:56 PM

Pretty harsh, Obvious. He shouldn't go to prison for apprehending a wanted U.S. criminal. That's just stupid. If Mexico wants Dog, it should have to take all of the illegals in our prison system too.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2007, 02:20 AM

Did you think about what you said before you wrote it?

It is an illogical and impractical condition to set for the exchange of a third tier TV show star, Mac. When the US wants them to give us drug runners, terrorist suspects, or any number of more important high profile criminals its not really an intelligent move to put up a fuss over this guy.

"Dog" should be extradited for trial because its what is best for everyone. He did it, he admitted it, and he profited from the act since he would have never gotten his show without it. If he wants to argue the merits of the act then argue it before a Mexican Judge. No one said he is guaranteed to go to prison even if he is found guilty.

What you said it not even remotely a good idea when we just got them to revise the extradition laws in our favor. On top of that you can't convict someone of a crime in one country and ask another country to enact the sentence. That's just stupid.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules