Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disable 2nd display without disconnecting?

Disable 2nd display without disconnecting?
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2007, 03:24 PM

It occurs to me, unless I'm missing something (and I don't believe I am), that there is no way to tell MacOS X to ignore a secondary display attached to a Mac without physically disconnecting it. At least in Windows, there a check box to enable or disable extended desktop.

Anyone have any work arounds, outside of reaching over and pulling the video cable off the secondary display? Simply turning it off doesn't do it, even upon reboot - MacOS X still thinks its there and will allow windows to be placed on it.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2007, 09:32 PM

What I do is just switch to mirrored display and turn the extra display off. I still leave it plugged in, then when I want an extended dual display, i turn the other monitor back on and switch back to extended display mode.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2007, 01:25 AM

Thanks. Wont work for me, though. The two displays are not the same resolution (1x30", 1x20")

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Thanks. Wont work for me, though. The two displays are not the same resolution (1x30", 1x20")

I have 1 x 24" and 1 x 17". OS X will adjust the resolution to suit the setup, be it dual displays in mirror mode or dual in extended, I run different resolution in both displays and switch between extended and mirror mode all day long without having to unplug or disconnect anything, I just turn off the bigger display when it is not needed.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
What I do is just switch to mirrored display and turn the extra display off. I still leave it plugged in, then when I want an extended dual display, i turn the other monitor back on and switch back to extended display mode.
Do you get 100% of your GPU power assigned to your primary display, or you still have some penalty? I want to plug my TV to my iMac to watch DVD on a bigger screen, but I don't want to have to mess with the cable every time I switch, but I don't want to lose some performance because the computer is driving 2 monitors!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Do you get 100% of your GPU power assigned to your primary display, or you still have some penalty? I want to plug my TV to my iMac to watch DVD on a bigger screen, but I don't want to have to mess with the cable every time I switch, but I don't want to lose some performance because the computer is driving 2 monitors!
I notice when i switch on/off the 2nd display the GPU re-adjusts to either single or dual displays in a moment of pause, but it is no big deal.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
I have 1 x 24" and 1 x 17". OS X will adjust the resolution to suit the setup, be it dual displays in mirror mode or dual in extended, I run different resolution in both displays and switch between extended and mirror mode all day long without having to unplug or disconnect anything, I just turn off the bigger display when it is not needed.
That works for you because you turn off the bigger display.

When you turn off the smaller display, you'll find that the bigger display has been changed to the same resolution with a large black box around it. This is probably not an adequate solution for Cadaver.

Forum Links
Forum Rules