Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What is the Best iPhone Screen Protector?

What is the Best iPhone Screen Protector?
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 5, 2008, 09:10 PM

I need a screen protector for my 3G iPhone, but I don't want to get a crappy one that will peel. I have heard there are some that are basically invisible, and do not affect glare or touch capabilities. What is the best choice out there? Any personal experiences?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

lisantica
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2008, 10:36 PM

I have been using InvisibleSHEILD for my iPhone. They warranty the film for life. I just experienced a situation where the film was loosening just a bit at the corner and invisibleSHIELD sent me a new one for the cost of shipping/handling $3.95. They ask that I send back the old one so that it keeps my lifetime warranty up to date, and so they can see what the problem is in order to consistently improve their product.
I am considering buying their product for my MBP too.
Perhaps some folks will also chime in on other products.

Lisa

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 11:18 PM

Why the heck would you need a screen protector ?

It's glass, for Pete's sakes. If you scratch that, you'll scratch right through the protector...

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 05:26 AM

I've had the InvisibleSHIELD on two iPods now, as well.

Amazing stuff.

Really.

A colleague has it on his iPhone - it's a bit tricky to apply, but once it's on, it's great.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

It's glass, for Pete's sakes. If you scratch that, you'll scratch right through the protector...

-t
It's so you don't scratch the glass, duh.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 02:15 PM

You've never seen the Invisible Shield, right?

It's absolutely amazing stuff.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 6, 2008, 04:11 PM

-t
So you're saying I should not worry about scratching the screen what so ever because it's glass? I always protect my electronics as best I can and have always used screen protectors... Does Apple guarantee that the screen will not scratch? I am not one to take chances because something is "supposed" to be scratch resistant.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
It's so you don't scratch the glass, duh.
How the heck would you do that, aside from being stupid and scratching a diamond across it ?

From Ars:
The front of the iPhone 3G is exactly the same as the old iPhone—that is, it's made of extremely scratch-resistant glass. Therefore, almost nothing in your everyday life will scratch this thing—keys, knives, change rolling around in your pocket, other electronics, rocks, etc. Hell, even skidding it face down across the concrete (or, to take an example out of Jacqui's real life, skidding it face down across the floor of her gym after she accidentally jerks it off the treadmill... repeatedly) won't do much damage to the screen. So in this sense, you are pretty safe.
Read this and watch the video from Ars:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...-review.ars/13

I tell you, you gotta be very reckless to get scratches on your iPhone screen.

-t

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 6, 2008, 04:39 PM

I must say I am very impressed at how durable that screen is! I can understand why you say there is no need for one, and I think you are right in saying that.

For those who do use screen protectors: what benefits have you seen since applying one?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 06:33 PM

Read this and watch the video from Ars:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...-review.ars/13

I tell you, you gotta be very reckless to get scratches on your iPhone screen.

-t
The ars tests couldn't check for longer term, repeated exposure to keys and change. Shaking the phone for ten minutes in a bag does not replicate real life conditions.

Anyway, its not meant to be under bullet proof glass in a museum so there's no need to stress.

lisantica
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
For those who do use screen protectors: what benefits have you seen since applying one?
Having applied an invisibleSHIELD and then taking it off, to reapply the new one, I was very pleased to see a pristine face on the iPhone. I suppose it mainly gives me peace of mind knowing that it is protected from any potential scrapes/scratches. I actually think the back of the phone needs more protection than the face. The chrome is easily scratched.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 10:44 PM

I like a screen protector since it helps keeps fingerprints off the glass.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2008, 05:36 AM

How the heck would you do that, aside from being stupid and scratching a diamond across it ?
I've seen a handful of scratched iPhone screens. They've all been tiny or very light scratches, but it's not like this isn't possible.

Do you have sand where you live? That stuff is the devil on "scratch-resistant" surfaces.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2008, 07:26 AM

I have a Griffin Wave case, it comes with a protector. Its an acetate sheet that is held inside between the phone and the case edge, not sticky.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 7, 2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I've seen a handful of scratched iPhone screens. They've all been tiny or very light scratches, but it's not like this isn't possible.

Do you have sand where you live? That stuff is the devil on "scratch-resistant" surfaces.
Sand was abolished in 1948. Now our beaches are covered with wood shavings

But seriously though, there's not a lot of sand around here. I live in the praries so it's not like a desert area or anything. Sand is the devil when it comes to electronics though.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2008, 12:29 PM

http://www.pdostore.com/index.cfm?fu...&ParentCat=145
I got a 2 pack of these for my first gen iphone and have been very happy with them. It applied perfectly and has been on my phone for over a year and most people don't even know it is there.

Free shipping expires today!
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 03:57 PM

Does the invisible sheild wrap around the entire iPhone or just the screen only? Anyone with pictures of it on their iPhones? (esp if it wraps around the entire unit)

For those that think their glass is indestructible, I'd love to see a test perhaps of you attempting to scratch it with a knife or keys etc. A youtube video would be great if anyone has one. I'm curious as well but I use screen protectors. Maybe you can sway me from using them?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2008, 04:11 PM

The entire phone.

There are *plenty* of videos on YouTube of iPhones in scratch tests, with rocks, keys, etc.

Most of those were done over a year ago with the original iPhone.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 05:54 PM

The entire phone?! I'll have to look into this for the 3g. Does it look like seran wrap around it? That's all I'd be worried about (that it's not a clean and truly invisible look).

I'll look into those scratch tests... That'll be amazing if it's that durable of a glass. But my main concern is the plastic backing on the new 3G's.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2008, 08:47 AM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 09:32 AM

I'm a fan of ZAGG's shield! The stuff is amazing. My Samsung lasted over 2 years with the shield without a single scratch.
Now I'm waiting for my iPhone skin to come in.

It needs to be applied properly (and patiently) though.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 12:33 PM

InvisibleSHIELD FTW.

You can't even tell it's on there. I only have it on the face on my iPhone 3G but wrapped my entire 2G iPhone in the stuff. I'm not too worried about scratching the plastic back of the 3G.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 9, 2008, 02:51 PM

When I was working at the Apple Store, I saw customers with all sorts of screen protectors. Honestly, none of them are as good as the Power Support brand films Apple carries. Those really cling well (especially if you apply the film a special way I came up with, which I intend to video and post online eventually), and they don't scratch.

I saw many customers with scratched iPhone screens. Mostly fine scratches, but a few surprisingly deep ones. I expect that lots of pressure (or diamond earrings!) were culprits. Either way, spending a couple of bucks on a screen film is well worth it, as an insurance policy of sorts. It's unlikely a naked screen will scratch, but if it did, you'd really wish you'd spent the couple of bucks.

As for the failure modes of the films themselves, I saw:
- easy scratching
- peeling up
- bad antireflective (NOT the same as antiglare) coatings
- films that cover the visible screen area only, not the entire glass
- films that don't cling right, leaving bubbles
- films that are too thin and are hard to apply

The Power Support films don't have any of those problems. They come in two kinds, both of which come in 2 packs for $15: Crystal Film, which is glossy and indistinguishable from the phone's glass; and Antiglare Film, which is frosted like a matte computer LCD, and softens the image a bit, but doesn't show fingerprints. I use antiglare.

CIA
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 09:25 PM

Another vote for the invisible shield. I love mine. I scratched the glass on my original iPhone in numerous places, and it was annoying. Also the back was scratched to sh*t. When my phone was destroyed and Amex was nice enough to replace it, I left the Apple Store here in Salt Lake, and drove right to Zagg (they are based in Salt Lake City). They put a full protector on my replacement 2G phone, and now, 9 months later, my phone still looks good as new.
I could've applied the front face protector alone, but the back/side ones are a little tricky. They have replaced my side one now for free since I got it also.
The metal back of my phone now even has a big dent in it, but it's scratch free and looks great still.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2008, 05:49 PM

My one vote goes to powersupportusa.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

bradbissell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2008, 09:58 PM

I have a screen protector from Bodyguardz on mine. I've had both invisible shield and bodyguardz. The ones from Bodyguardz are clearer and less textured. Nearly the same as the generic 3M material.
Macbook C2D 2.0 Ghz w/ 2GB Ram, 5G 30GB iPod

angryon3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2012, 04:59 PM

Zagg invisible shield is such bad quality. I have used theirs, a cheap $5 brand I got off eBay, and currently have a Skinpea screen protector. Hands down, the Skinpea is the best bang for your buck. I bought it off amazon, but check out their website www.skinpea.com. Hope this helps!!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 10:59 AM

I used to be in the "it's impossible to scratch glass" camp... until my iPad got several small scratches in it. They are tiny, but annoying. I don't know how it happened, but neither my wife nor my 3 year old son take as much care as I do when handling things.

Judging by how small the nicks are, I'm guessing something was dropped on the screen.

That said, I used to use a screen protector years ago, and it does make the screen look worse. I used an Invisible Shield from Zagg.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

AppKing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2012, 01:58 AM

IMO, the best iPhone screen protector, especially the iPhone 5 is Zaggs.
It's military grade which is why it protects against a lot of drops and scratches. I went through a lot of that and mine is fine. It also has a 45 money back guarantee and a lifetime warranty so you can't go wrong with it for just trying.

Here is their promo video, kind of hard to believe, I won't try any of these though hah.
YouTube Page

There is a deal going on for these exact screen protectors here:
http://dealrevealers.com/iphone-5-screen-protectors-cases/

My friend bought a cheap screen protector and it had bubbles and residue on his phone.He always talked about him saving money and stuff and in the long run he spent more on multiple screen protectors hah.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2012, 05:32 AM

I only use Stenheil screen protectors on my devices, specifically the Steinheil Crystal Clear.

http://www.spigen.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules