Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > call me a pirate....

call me a pirate....
scadboy
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 03:29 PM

or call me impatient!

I've ordered my copy of the 10.1 update from apple via the Mac OS up-to-date program, infact, I ordered it two weeks ago tomorrow, and, as yet, have not seen hide nor hair of my precious update cd. However, in the meantime, I have managed to download (through naughty internet channels that will remain nameless, but rhymes with snotline) an .img file copy of the updater cd-rom.

It appears to be a .img file created by disk copy, possibly under mac os 9.2, and would seem to be complete, but I can't manage to burn a bootable copy of the cd and all other alternate methods of trying to run the installer from the cd or other media have failed.

I've burned three copies of the .img file, one through disc burner, and two through toast, but none of them will boot. Each disc appears as a bootable CD under Mac OS X 10.0.4's system preferences panel, but under OS 9.2's startup disk control panel the cd appears, it's system folder is recognized, but it's greyed out such as that it cannot be selected.

Attempts to burn the copy as a "bootable disc" through toast 5.0 titanium and 5.0 preview for os x yield an error message that the cd has no system folder. So.... how the heck do I burn this darn thing so it boots?

I believe this topic also has value for anyone trying to make a bootable Mac OS X "emergency" disc.

Anyone who can help, please reply! Or you can email me ( scadboy @ hotmail.com ), if you're afraid of being labelled a "pirate." Oh, if you happen to be a SCAD student, or are in the greater Savannah area and wouldn't mind duping a copy of your updater CD for me, I'd be much obliged and be more than happy to repay you for your time, effort, and any inconvenience. I could at the very least get you a free pizza (I work at the mellow, downtown.)

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

scadboy

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: scadboy ]

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2001, 03:42 PM

OK, "You're a Pirate!"

Happy now?

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2001, 03:57 PM

Me next, Me next... You're Impatient...

scadboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 04:02 PM

y'all are so clever...

so does anyone have anything constructive to add?

scadb... er... impatient pirateboy

greggers
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 04:06 PM

double click the image, it should open in Toast, then insert blank cd and click 'burn'

voila.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Just out for a drive.............

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2001, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by scadboy:
<STRONG>y'all are so clever...

scadb... er... impatient pirateboy</STRONG>
Check your private messages... I sent something before I posted that.

<try>
Oct 8, 2001, 05:21 PM

Try to use the installer.app in the utilities directory in your working 10.0.4 system, with the 'Mac OS x Install cd&gt;System&gt;Installation&gt;Packages&gt;OSInst all.mpkg' file. Worked for me (well a clean install on a different partition.'

scadboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by &lt;try&gt;:
<STRONG>Try to use the installer.app in the utilities directory in your working 10.0.4 system, with the 'Mac OS x Install cd&gt;System&gt;Installation&gt;Packages&gt;OSInst all.mpkg' file. Worked for me (well a clean install on a different partition.'</STRONG>
you so rock. I am currently in the middle of a download of a toast image of aformentioned naughty illegalness, but I will try that!

and thanks for the pvt's ;-)

ciao,

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2001, 06:02 PM

You're still a pirate.

scadboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by spicyjeff:
<STRONG>You're still a pirate. </STRONG>
Dude, perhaps, but atleast as of an hour ago, I'm a pirate on 10.1. Woo-hoo, thanks for your help.

Though this still doesn't solve the question of how to create a Mac OS X boot cd... hmmm...

ciao,

NickKohn
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 11:42 PM

I pirated OS X because I payed &gt; $4000 so I could have a computer to run MacOS X. The OS had been released for some time after I bought it, but Apple neglected to include it. So, Steve may have gotten 4k of my money, but he ain't getting another $100.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2001, 11:51 PM

How is it pirating to download an image of a free cd?

jwest
Oct 9, 2001, 02:32 AM

I hear your frustration. Having purchased the BETA, the 'second beta' 10.0.0 and waited eagerly for 10.1 I am very frustrated by the 'eternal' delay to get the OS that is going to get Apple on the right track.

Thanks for rewarding the early adopters Steve!!

Two weeks and counting.. other mail sent the same day has cleared.. and nothing in Apple-land.

Cmon steve.. the 'mac os uptodate' program was crap with system 7.6.1.. its the 21'st century for goodness sake.. can't we order the darn thing through the apple store? HELLO!!

jeff

jwest
Oct 9, 2001, 02:33 AM

I hear your frustration. Having purchased the BETA, the 'second beta' 10.0.0 and waited eagerly for 10.1 I am very frustrated by the 'eternal' delay to get the OS that is going to get Apple on the right track. Thanks for rewarding the early adopters Steve!!

Two weeks and counting.. other mail sent the same day has cleared.. and nothing in Apple-land.

Cmon steve.. the 'mac os uptodate' program was crap with system 7.6.1.. its the 21'st century for goodness sake.. can't we order the darn thing through the apple store? HELLO!!

jeff

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2001, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
<STRONG>How is it pirating to download an image of a free cd?</STRONG>
Yeah, let'S call him a "legal pirate"

-t

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2001, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by scadboy:
<STRONG>y'all are so clever...

scadb... er... impatient pirateboy</STRONG>
At the same 'place' you 'found' the updater CD you will probbaly 'find' a beta version of Apples DiskCopy. This newer version uses OS 9.2's CD burning ability to burn a CD from an image. This will create a bootable Updater CD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules