Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > EU member first: Turkey or Russia?

View Poll Results: Who do you want to be an EU member first?
Poll Options:
MOTHER RUSSIA 5 votes (35.71%)
TURKEY 3 votes (21.43%)
BLIMEY, I don't care--just keep the mafia and the Turks out of my country! 6 votes (42.86%)
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll
EU member first: Turkey or Russia?
fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2002, 11:13 AM

this seems like a timely subject. Ireland has voted for EU expansion to many eastern european countries, and more countries will be added before (if ever!) Russia or Turkey are accepted.

personally, I don't believe Turkey will ever be a real member in the EU.

so here's a little poll. who would you like to see an EU member first--Russia or Turkey?

austeros
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 11:42 AM

the ottomans always wanted to be a european power (and was one of the greatest in their day). i have to believe it will be turkey. yes the dynasty of osman is long gone, but it was a prevalent theme in ottoman culture for the 600 years of its existance.

yeah, so turkey will be a member before mother russia

There's someone in my head but its not me...

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 12:00 PM

I really don't want either one, as each one is sorely lacking in democracy and human rights. But then again, I don't live in the EU so I don't have much say.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2002, 01:33 PM

Get the Turks out of Northern Cyprus (not the Turkish Cypriots) and the reunification of the island then we can talk. Until then there are so many reasons why they shouldn't be in the EU. Economic, human rights and democratic reasons to name just three.

Sealobo
Oct 20, 2002, 08:39 PM

I thought Russia is in Asia.

As far as i can tell the Russian will stick with the Chinese to form a Sino-Russian strategic partnership. The Chinese will not let the Russian to get away from this relationship, becasue China needed some barrier up north so that they can put their attention to the East (i.e. Korea, Japan) and the South (i.e. The messy South China Sea & Co.)...

Anyway, Russia will never get into the EU. This poll is like asking if China will get into the EU. It just won't happen.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2002, 08:43 PM

I agree with Sealobo. Russia will never join the EU and yet I think Russia will join before Turkey does. Does that tell you anything?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2002, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by sealobo:
I thought Russia is in Asia.
Get this man an atlas, quick!

Bit of it are, and bits of it aren't. Russia is a big country.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2002, 03:02 AM

Russia is regarded as a European country. Maybe it's because 90% of it's population is on the European continent (Sibera and stuff is all desert... really cold... uninhabitable .

Russia is too stubborn. They want to become another world power, and if they can sort themselves out (which will take 60 or 70 years ) I believe they can become another superpower in their own right.

Turkey IS DESPERATE to join the EU. They are slowly trying to reform their country (it's hard when it's so corrupt). But they are trying.
In vino veritas.

derbs
Senior User
Oct 21, 2002, 07:46 AM

where's the NEITHER!!! button?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 08:10 AM

To be honest, I don't want neither. The turkeys are mostly nice folks, but we have a lot of them already in Germany and I'm very sorry I have to say that, but they're causing major headaches.�

As for the russians, I wouldn't mind having them in the EU, but they lack human rights and a stable (or any) economy. That's why it would be way too expensive.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2002, 02:57 PM

I've always tought of Russia(as a whole) being an Asian country. Most of my text books and atlases came from the U.K., and i distinctly remember Russia being part of Asia. The eastern block though, countries like Lathvia, Lithuiana, Croatia, etc, are part Europe.

As far as Russia joining the EU, so far this is the first place ive heard this idea. will they ? i doubt it.

As far as Turkey goes, i know it's very desperate to join the EU, but as mentioned before the issue of Cyprus(against the Greeks) which has been going on for a very long time, will probably mean that this mostly muslim country will not be admitted into the EU. Also looking back o history, Turkey was the staging point for the invasions of Europe, so i doubt the EU would want to admit a predominantely muslim country inside it's borders. (just my opinion, and i could be wrong)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 21, 2002 at 10:56 PM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
I've always tought of Russia(as a whole) being an Asian country. Most of my text books and atlases came from the U.K., and i distinctly remember Russia being part of Asia. The eastern block though, countries like Lathvia, Lithuiana, Croatia, etc, are part Europe.

As far as Russia joining the EU, so far this is the first place ive heard this idea. will they ? i doubt it.

As far as Turkey goes, i know it's very desperate to join the EU, but as mentioned before the issue of Cyprus(against the Greeks) which has been going on for a very long time, will probably mean that this mostly muslim country will not be admitted into the EU. Also looking back o history, Turkey was the staging point for the invasions of Europe, so i doubt the EU would want to admit a predominantely mulim country inside it's borders. (just my opinion, and i could be wrong)
No I think you are very right. There are many historical and cultural reasons for the EU tho shun Turkey. Cheap labour, high education and a growing economy is something Eastern Europe will bring to the EU.

Turkey will only bring the chaos it is. Human rights? They don't know the meaning of the word.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules