Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Business Card CDs

Business Card CDs
nate_02
Senior User
Mar 4, 2004, 07:50 PM

Is it safe to view business card CDs (mini CDs) in the slot loading drive. It just seems to me like it might get stuck.
-nate

Hous68
Mar 4, 2004, 07:59 PM

Nope. They're a bad idea in slot-loading drives. Sorry.
Peace. Love. MacOSX.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2004, 09:53 PM

I would think they are a REALLY bad idea
Who reads this???

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2004, 10:29 PM

They get stuck in the drives. I remember reading on the apple forums a long time ago about someone that had to send it in to apple to get the mini cd out.

nate_02  (op)
Senior User
Mar 4, 2004, 10:39 PM

I'll just use my PowerMac to view them.
-nate

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2004, 10:50 PM

Several years ago you could buy adapter rings that would make a 3" CD fit in a standard CD tray or in slot-load car CD players. I've not seen them in a long time, however, and I don't know how a PowerBook slot-load mechanism would take to it anyway.

I don't even trust those odd-shaped CDs (round ones don't bother me) in a standard drawer loader. I only feel comfortable using those in my old iBook with the tray where you clip the disc physically onto the spindle. Can't come flying off & get stuck.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 02:52 AM

I don't even trust those odd-shaped CDs
Weirdest one I've seen was a Christmas tree-shaped holiday "card" I once got from an old client. I wouldn't even put that in my beige box at work. Sometimes you gotta wonder what people are thinking. And those things can't be cheap to produce.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

ingeniero
Mar 5, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by nate_02:
Is it safe to view business card CDs (mini CDs) in the slot loading drive. It just seems to me like it might get stuck.
I know that the mini CD's would get stuck in the slot-load drives in powerbooks, but I'm curious why they do work in the older iMacs...My cousin has a 'blue-dalmation" iMac with slot-load, and it comes in and out with no problems, and of course it reads the disc.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 7, 2004, 02:57 PM

Old slot-load drives did support ROUND mini CDs (8cm). They do NOT support non-round discs!

The newer drives (which I think are thinner) don't have the guides for small discs.

If you read the manual that comes with the computer, it'll tell you to not use any discs other than 12cm round discs.

tooki

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2004, 03:09 PM

What gets me is that if you were the type of person who would think that a business card CD rom would be cool than one would think that you would also be smart enough to realize that nobody uses them. I wouldn't put one of those things in a regular CD rom drive. Sheeeesh.

nate_02  (op)
Senior User
Mar 8, 2004, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by danbrew:
What gets me is that if you were the type of person who would think that a business card CD rom would be cool than one would think that you would also be smart enough to realize that nobody uses them. I wouldn't put one of those things in a regular CD rom drive. Sheeeesh.
In this case, its for a company I'm looking to work with, they already gave their presentations, so I was curious to see what was on their CD.

DVDs work better anyway for things like that which require video.
-nate

Forum Links
Forum Rules