Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger Mail question/problem

Tiger Mail question/problem
willed
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 05:44 PM

I've just installed Tiger and it's pretty cool (upgraded from 10.2). However, I'm running really tight on space here (10GB HD). I'm sure that before 'importing' all my messages in the new version of Mail I had about 700MB free and now I have only 200. Is this because Mail copies all your old messages? If so, can I delete the old ones, and where on my HD would they be? If this isn't the cause, any speculation as to where 500MB just disappeared to while I was using my computer??

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 05:55 PM

did you not expect importing all your messages to copy them?

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by fulmer
did you not expect importing all your messages to copy them?
Well I didn't really see why it should need to copy my messages from my my Mac to... err... my Mac. And I assumed that if it was making new files for the new version, it would delete the old ones. It seems that this isn't the case. So care to be helpful and tell me what I can delete?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 06:14 PM

It's not going to trash email messages unless you direct it to, so if you don't want the emails, trash them.

Mail.app uses the mbox format. Messages are stored in there. Working in Mail's folders, find the old messages you don't want and delete them. Then empty the trash.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by fulmer
It's not going to trash email messages unless you direct it to, so if you don't want the emails, trash them.

Mail.app uses the mbox format. Messages are stored in there. Working in Mail's folders, find the old messages you don't want and delete them. Then empty the trash.

10.3 uses mbox format. 10.4 uses maildir format. Once the conversion has succesfully completed, you can delete the old mbox files.

This is why I STRONGLY recommend that BEFORE you intall Tiger, that you MOVE your entire old ~/Library/Mail folder to a backup location. Fire up mail, set it up, and IMPORT all your old mail. Import your rules, preferences, etc., after the setup as well.

Then you can trash (or preferably burn to DVD as a backup and then trash from your HD) the old mail, and you will have a "clean" mail folder.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 06:30 PM

I found mbox files in the Mail folder as well as a /Messages folder full of 'emlx' files, no maildir files to be found here.

So I guess Tiger converted the mbox files to individual emlx files, and the mbox files are redundant... a double and obsolete copy of all messages, is this correct?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules