Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail 2 and multiple SMTP servers?

Mail 2 and multiple SMTP servers?
wreising
May 4, 2005, 08:54 PM

Is there a way to select the SMTP server that Mail 2 will use when sending mail?
As it stands now, I have Mail set to the SMTP server I use most often on my Powerbook, but when I go home, I need to use a different server. So when I'm home, I need to try to send the message, wait for the error and then Mail will give me the option of using a different server.

Is there anyway to select the SMTP server on a message by message basis?

Thanks.
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 09:33 PM

I'm not sure if Mail 2 will let you do this (I'm pretty sure Mail 1.3 doesn't), but Location X might give you that functionality.
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by wreising
Is there a way to select the SMTP server that Mail 2 will use when sending mail?
As it stands now, I have Mail set to the SMTP server I use most often on my Powerbook, but when I go home, I need to use a different server. So when I'm home, I need to try to send the message, wait for the error and then Mail will give me the option of using a different server.

Thanks.
Hmmm... there is a default SMTP server per account. You may be able to rig something up with 2 accounts that have the same reply-to address, that use different SMTP servers, and only one checks email.

fulmer
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne
Hmmm... there is a default SMTP server per account. You may be able to rig something up with 2 accounts that have the same reply-to address, that use different SMTP servers, and only one checks email.
sounds like it might work.
I'd duplicate your accout. Call it ISP-1 and ISP-2 or whatever. Same incoming settings, but different outgoing/SMTP configs.

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by wreising

Thanks.

wreising  (op)
May 5, 2005, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne
I should have mentioned that I tried this. I got an error because I was using the same email address. I even tried one of the .Mac aliases. No good.

Apparently, .Mac stores the account files based on the email address used, not the account name. Aliases won't work because Mail 2 doesn't consider them real .Mac accounts.

I'll look into the Location X thing.

Thanks, Bill
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

Forum Links
Forum Rules