Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help - data lost/misplaced

Help - data lost/misplaced
artlewis
May 30, 2005, 10:11 AM

I've done a stupid thing and need help finding my Mail and Address information.

After backing up my hd (CCC 2.3) to an external fw drive and determining it was bootable, I installed a second internal hd and erased my original hd (going back to only one partition for the extra space), only to find out that under Tiger I can't to restore from the external fw drive.

Bombich faq no. 17 gave me a workaround, or so I thought, with rebooting into a single user mode and running fsck -y, etc., but I wound up creating a new admin profile and I can't get to my old Mail, Address & Safari info. It looks like my former profile is there, but I can't get past the new admin profile - all on the fw hd.

If I had left everything on the fw drive alone and waited for CCC 2.4, I'd probably have been fine. But it was into the wee hours and I opted to try the workaround.

I reinstalled a new 10.4 on the original internal hd and would be thrilled to get the info from the fw drive back to the original internal hd. I just can't find it.

Any suggestions?

fulmer
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 10:24 AM

what info are you looking to move?
You should be able to mount the external drive and navigate through the folder paths to the folders that contain your Mail, address book, and safari data.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 11:17 AM

Migration Assistent should be able to retrieve that info from the old account as well.

artlewis  (op)
May 30, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by fulmer
what info are you looking to move?
You should be able to mount the external drive and navigate through the folder paths to the folders that contain your Mail, address book, and safari data.
I'm not sure where to look and then how to do it. Sorry if this sounds lame, but I'm concerned about losing the data if I do it incorrectly.

artlewis  (op)
May 30, 2005, 12:46 PM

Fulmer and Tetenal,
Thanks very much. I got it done and am now breathing much easier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules