Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AEBS: No distribution of IP address = slow internet?

AEBS: No distribution of IP address = slow internet?
mattcass
Jun 5, 2005, 01:58 PM

So I turned off the "Distribute IP Address" option on my Airport Extreme base station so I could properly download with Azureus (I have a 4-port Linksys router as well). Now my internet is significantly slower than it was before. Is this just a fluke or is this common? Anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2005, 05:41 PM

The source of your computer's IP address should have no effect on how fast stuff downloads. I call it a fluke. If you turn everything off (including the router and base station) then start it all back up again, you may find the problem completely gone.
( Last edited by tooki; Nov 13, 2005 at 01:59 AM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 10:19 PM

you can use the port mapping option with the base station to map the proper ports to your subnet IP to ensure Azureus is getting the 'green' faces.

mattcass  (op)
Jun 6, 2005, 01:57 AM

Green faces on Azureus arent a problem. Turning off the distribute IP address function saw to that (I just forwarded the ports via the Linksys). I'm going to try moving the base station. I moved my desk around and maybe the change from 3 feet from the AE to my Powerbook to 5 feet ruined the reception.

mattcass  (op)
Nov 13, 2005, 12:03 AM

Yeah I'm going to bump this one because its still slow when I turn off the ip address distribution!

It's not the downloads that are slow (Azureus still downloads fast, same with files from school, etc.). Going from webpage to webpage is where the holdup is. Safari is always "contacting" the websites, sometimes for a good while (5 seconds or more).

I turn off ip distribution and everything is snappy and fast. I'd like to keep ip distribution off because it's the only way iTunes seems to be able to share music on the network properly.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2005, 06:52 AM

id say azureus is saturating your internet connection, try setting the max upload speed to half of your max

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 13, 2005, 08:50 AM

When you turn off DHCP you also turn off all the other, supporting data you get with it. Things like the latest DNS server addresses and any changes in the gateway you are using may give you a lot of problems, including slowdowns. When you use manual IPs, you also need to manually assign the latest DNS server addresses and the correct gateway address. Double check that your manually addressed machine is using the correct addresses.

mattcass  (op)
Nov 13, 2005, 04:37 PM

Azureus doesnt have to be on for the internet to go slow. It does it all the time.

As for DCHP I'm not too sure about all that stuff. I dont understand it, sorry.

I'll just post up the info in my system preferences:

Configure IPv4: Using DCHP
IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1
DNS Server: 10.0.1.1

I understand what that all means except for the subnet mask. IP Address is being assigned by the Linksys, Router address is the linksys, and the DNS server is the Airport Express. I have never tried to assign a manual IP address. The settings in the Airport Administration Utility are the same.

Anything there I should change?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 13, 2005, 10:41 PM

The subnet mask says that your stuff can talk locally to anything whose IP matches the first three groups: 192.168.1.xxx. But your DNS Server setting is WRONG. It should be a real IP address outside your LAN, but it's set to not only a non-routable address, but one that is outside your subnet too. THAT is your problem, right there.

Find out what your ISP's DNS server addresses are, and enter them in your AirPort Base Station, then see what happens.

mattcass  (op)
Nov 15, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The subnet mask says that your stuff can talk locally to anything whose IP matches the first three groups: 192.168.1.xxx. But your DNS Server setting is WRONG. It should be a real IP address outside your LAN, but it's set to not only a non-routable address, but one that is outside your subnet too. THAT is your problem, right there.

Find out what your ISP's DNS server addresses are, and enter them in your AirPort Base Station, then see what happens.
Problem 100% solved. The internet flies! Thanks a lot. No more switching back and forth to download torrents!

Forum Links
Forum Rules