Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't install OSX 10.3 ....hellllppppp

Can't install OSX 10.3 ....hellllppppp
Lucy Sky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 08:20 PM

Hi there,
OK, please bare with me, because although I'm a designer, when it comes to any form of system softwear etc. system info,system ANYTHING, I truly personify the term idiot savant...It takes me forever to learn, and I make the most ridiculous mistakes.
I'm sure you'll laugh when I ask this, but I REALLY need help...I have OSX 10.3 -Panther and I assumed I would be able to install it like OS 9.2 on both my G3 Imac, and also my G3 B&W??? Do I have to actually purchase TWO of these things??
If not, then my G3 B&W is just not recognizing it as a valid bootable disk. Even in preferences, I see it and my hard drive, but the osx disc is ghosted, so I'm unable to choose it, and if I try to restart, and hold down C key, it just stays black...
Am I making any sense? Sorry I've spent the last three days, backing up both computers, and trying to get this thing installed ...ALL DAY. I really wanted it for the B&W G3, because it has more room, and I use it much more to design.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 09:45 PM

Is the Panther upgrade disk a CD or a DVD? Does the B&W have a CD-ROM drive or a DVD-ROM drive?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 10:37 PM

Mac OS X 10.3 requires a Macintosh with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor, built-in USB, at least 128MB of physical RAM and a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer. Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards.
http://www.apple.com/support/panther/install/

Does your b&w meet these criteria?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 12, 2005, 03:51 PM

Blue and Whites tended to come with DVD-ROM drives that have not held up well over time; it would not be surprising if that were the problem.

B&Ws are definitely supported. See http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

Some things to check:

1. make sure the firmware is the latest.
2. reset the NVRAM.
3. you must use the internal DVD-ROM drive; B&Ws cannot boot from external FireWire drives.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules