Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Facebook pushing staff to switch to Android over iOS

Facebook pushing staff to switch to Android over iOS
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 25, 2012, 11:53 PM

Facebook has commenced an in-house promotion dubbed 'droidfood,' encouraging staff to switch to Android, reports TechCrunch. The term is a play on the 'dogfooding,' which is used by software company uses its own product to test it and demonstrate its qualities. With the Android OS well on top in the battle for the smartphone market share, Facebook is trying to encourage more employees to adopt Android devices in order to help improve the quality of its Facebook app for the majority of users.

As can be seen by the photos, the company is not taking a particularly subtle approach with the posters appearing throughout the Facebook's headquarters in Menlo Park, California. One of the posters uses IDC projections showing that Android users will more than double the number of iPhone users by 2016. With the company's renewed emphasis on addressing the mobile user segment, the importance of gettting the Android experience cannot be understated. With Facebook heavily integrated into both iOS and Mac OS X, and soon iTunes 11, it will be interesting to see whether the Facebook initiative affects its relationship with Apple. The posters could also be seen as further evidence supporting the rumored Android-based Facebook smartphone. Early rumors suggested that Facebook may have been working with HTC on such a device, however more recent reports suggest that Facebook has been hiring its own hardware engineers and may attempt to develop the phone in-house. With the post-PC mobile computing revolution well umderway, it would be hard to rule out Facebook placing its mobile credentials on its own-branded mobile device.

pairof9s
Senior User
Nov 26, 2012, 02:43 AM

Yes, because gosh knows the newest version of Facebook iOS is horrible and very buggy! It would be one thing if they ever invested in making the iOS version robust and on par w/ the web site; but now it's evident they'd just as soon not worry with the investment.

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2012, 04:11 AM

Of the android users I know, we'll over half are not savvy users
Typical omissions in their behavior include not having set up email, not knowing how to share location and not even knowing what Google Play is

On iOS, most have managed to setup email and purchase through the App Store, although even there too few have setup find my iPhone or understand what iCloud is

Never mind the quality, feel the width
(Refers to the massive growth in users, most of whom are of little value)

aSevie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2012, 04:11 AM

People still use Facebook? It jumped the shark at least a year ago.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by aSevie View Post
People still use Facebook? It jumped the shark at least a year ago.
Oh, YOU'RE the guy on Google+?

simdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2012, 06:58 AM

Wow. Looks like Apple is being well-rewarded for integrating Facebook throughout iOS 6. Nice job Zuckerberg.

jungmark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2012, 07:35 AM

I think it's kind of short sighted by facebook to just look at just iphone because iOS is on ipad, the ipad mini, and the ipod touch. also a good chunk of those Android devices are only used as phones only.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Nov 26, 2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by simdude View Post
Wow. Looks like Apple is being well-rewarded for integrating Facebook throughout iOS 6. Nice job Zuckerberg.
My thoughts exactly.

Reminds me how much I wish I could rip this POS out of my operating system, cause I don't use SpaceBook or Twatter.

Thanks, Apple.

aSevie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Oh, YOU'RE the guy on Google+?
Not quite.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
Reminds me how much I wish I could rip this POS out of my operating system, cause I don't use SpaceBook or Twatter.
Thanks, Apple.
Unless you have infant children, you probably don't use the child-seat anchors in your back seat. Do you wish you could rip those POS out of the car and say, "Thanks, Ford!"?

Or would it be easier just to ignore them, since they're not in your face and are causing no harm and do not affect the operation of the car regardless of whether they're used or not?

Are you saying, "Thanks, GE!" and wishing you could rip the "potato" and "popcorn" quick-push buttons out of your microwave?

Facebook and Twitter integration don't make appearances in OS X unless you specifically tell them to make an appearance. Otherwise, they just sit there, not in your face, unused, relegated to small options within the System Preferences.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloConQueso View Post
Facebook and Twitter integration don't make appearances in OS X unless you specifically tell them to make an appearance. Otherwise, they just sit there, not in your face, unused, relegated to small options within the System Preferences.
Sorry, but that simply isn't true.

For one, he was talking about iOS.

But even apart from that: Facebook and Twitter buttons are in ALL sharing screens in every single app that supports action menus on iOS AND OS X, regardless of whether you have Facebook and Twitter activated in the preferences.

They're both right there in the Safari action menu on Mac OS X, as well.

I wish you were right, that they simply wouldn't show up at all until activated.

Sadly, you are wrong.

b9bot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2012, 08:31 PM

Yet when the reports come out IOS far exceeds Android on the internet. Maybe people can't get there droid food to work. Probably because 90% of them can't upgrade there OS to the latest version and the rest of them are infected with malware from all that lovely openness. Maybe the staff should tell there IT to stick it where the sun don't shine!

The Vicar
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2012, 10:28 PM

Well, of course Facebook like Google's stuff. Evil corporations who make their money by exploiting other people's private information have to stick together, after all.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Nov 27, 2012, 05:11 AM

...Facebook and Twitter integration don't make appearances in OS X unless you specifically tell them to make an appearance. Otherwise, they just sit there, not in your face, unused, relegated to small options within the System Preferences.
If you actually read my post, you'd realize I was speaking about iOS, not OS X. In iOS, there is absolutely NO WAY to disable the Twitter and Facebook action buttons used in every single app.

6894/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

As for your previous rant about microwaves and cars... *sigh.*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
...Facebook and Twitter integration don't make appearances in OS X unless you specifically tell them to make an appearance. Otherwise, they just sit there, not in your face, unused, relegated to small options within the System Preferences.
If you actually read my post, you'd realize I was speaking about iOS, not OS X. In iOS, there is absolutely NO WAY to disable the Twitter and Facebook action buttons used in every single app.
As I pointed out, there isn't in OS X, either.

6901/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I never signed in a Twitter account.

Forum Links
Forum Rules