Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 27 Inch

iMac 27 Inch
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2014, 03:08 PM

I have an 27 inch iMac with Thunderbolt and I want to use my late 2009 white Macbook as a second display if possible. I bought a mini displayport cable with the hopes of using target display mode but it didn't work. Is there way to hook the 2 macs together to make this work?

Thanks

Chito
Senior User
Dec 29, 2014, 08:49 PM

The macbook has no capability for video in. You can use the imac as a display for the macbook using Target Display Mode Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support
Or you could possibly do it with software using Screen Recycler, but it may or may not meet your needs.
ScreenRecycler
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2014, 10:56 PM

I tried to get the iMac to serve as the second display to the macbook but couldn't get that to work either. Do I need a thunderbolt cable even though the macbook only has mini display port?

Chito
Senior User
Dec 30, 2014, 07:51 PM

Exactly which imac do you have? If I understand the chart correctly if the source computer uses mini display port you can only use TDM on 2009-2010 imacs. 2011 and newer require input from a thunderbolt equipped source. Note that 5k imacs don't support TDM at all.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

P
Jan 2, 2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chito View Post
Exactly which imac do you have? If I understand the chart correctly if the source computer uses mini display port you can only use TDM on 2009-2010 imacs. 2011 and newer require input from a thunderbolt equipped source. Note that 5k imacs don't support TDM at all.
This is correct. If the iMac has Thunderbolt (ie, it is from 2011 newer) it requires a Thunderbolt signal in.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2015, 07:58 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules