Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What are the best tips for keeping your Powerbook runing great?

What are the best tips for keeping your Powerbook runing great?
graphics84
Senior User
Jun 18, 2003, 08:55 PM

I have the 1 gig but it's been running like a dog lately (10.2.6 w/ 1gig of ram)...

I run the Macjanitor every once in a while and that seems to actualy help but what eles is there?

I used to run Techtool lite on my old system 9.

What other utilities can you sugest?

What other tips?

I want this thing running fast (as resposive as OS 9 is the goal, might be kinda lofty though).

so let hear it....

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by graphics84:
I have the 1 gig but it's been running like a dog lately (10.2.6 w/ 1gig of ram)...

I run the Macjanitor every once in a while and that seems to actualy help but what eles is there?

I used to run Techtool lite on my old system 9.

What other utilities can you sugest?

What other tips?

I want this thing running fast (as resposive as OS 9 is the goal, might be kinda lofty though).

so let hear it....
I can't speak for OS9-level responsiveness... haven't run or even installed 9 on my Ti... however:

Perhaps you should consider backing up your data and re-install X? You make it sound like it was previously running well, and then suddenly stopped. Perhaps an OS update went poorly or some such.

I have the same machine, and X FLIES.

If you have the time, I'd definitely recommend a re-install.

As for optimization utils... I posted a while back that (in my recent experiences) most of the ones out there benefit the 1ghz Ti very little, some even hurt the performance. Most of the optimizations out there seem to be designed for slower G3 macs w/ less ram.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2003, 02:38 PM

Why not give Disk Warrior a try? It was just reeased in an OS X version.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 04:16 PM

Before you reinstall OS X there are a couple things you can try that may help. First, open Disk Utility (it's in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder). Select the partition that has OS X on it, select the First Aid tab and then click the Repair Permissions button. This will sometimes help OS X run faster.

Another thing you can do is boot off your OS X CD like you normally would to install it. Except, don't do anything with the installer. Once everything starts up click through the menus, you should see an option to launch Disk Utility. Once that's started, do as before but instead choose Repair Disk.

If that still doesn't work, try getting a program from Versiontracker.com called Cocktail. This does the same stuff as MacJanitor and more. Start the program, go to the System section, then do the "Re-prebind entire system". Only after trying these ideas would I consider reinstalling OS X.

I have to say, I've had OS X get slow on me before too. But some combination of these three ideas always works. I hope they work for you too.

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 04:32 PM

great I'll try those...

my computer slowed down after a re-install

I left the system on OS 9 over night conected to a FW drive and when I got up in the morning I had no system... so I did a System OS X reinstall and archive and now I have this problem...

I'm going to do the prebind thing since I did the repair premissions when I did the reinstall...

thanks

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by graphics84:
great I'll try those...

my computer slowed down after a re-install

I left the system on OS 9 over night conected to a FW drive and when I got up in the morning I had no system... so I did a System OS X reinstall and archive and now I have this problem...

I'm going to do the prebind thing since I did the repair premissions when I did the reinstall...

thanks
It could be because you did the archive and install instead of just a straight install.

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 06:49 PM

Have you been watering it regularly?

Forum Links
Forum Rules