Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > On the old G3 450 B&W how is the IDE configured?

On the old G3 450 B&W how is the IDE configured?
graphics84
Senior User
Jul 21, 2003, 07:04 PM

I have a G3 450 with the internal SCSI drive that finally died (after a long and loud death)...

So I thought I could just plug an a IDE drive and away I go right? (in the unused IDE bus on the board).

I bought a IDE 133 drive for cheap... is that to fast? I thought they where backwords compatable

I also have a CDR and a ZIP drive... do I have to lose one?

man this is not behaving like I think it should...

anyone know or can direct me to a web page that explains it?

thanks

derekn
Senior User
Jul 21, 2003, 09:04 PM

Here's the everymac.com page:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...g3_450_bl.html

Says there are 3 3.5 bays, one of which has the zip drive and then two for hard drives. The zip is fine and so is the burner (if it replaced the internal DVD/CD-ROM drive).

The ATA/133 drive is fine, it'll slow down to ATA 100/66/33 speeds.

Two things with the B&W. The first revision of B&W had a problem with slave IDE drives that was fixed in the later revisions. Unless you upgraded the G3 you have the later revision so should be fine there.

Second, make sure the jumpers are set on the drive for slave. By default I'm guessing it's set for cable select (which is what newer Macs and PeeCees use), so just check the documentation that came with the drive and move the jumpers for "slave". You should be able to just set it up in Drive Setup then.

EDIT: just remembered this article at xlr8yourmac.com

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/add_2nd_drive/index.html

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2003, 03:14 PM

got it to work... sort of

there appear to be two IDE buses on the board on my G3 450

I think that the primary one was used by the CDR and Zip since the Wide SCSI card was being used for the main drive.

I used the IDE bus that the CDR was on and out the new Hard drive on it set as master.

I thgen used another cable and put the CDR or it and set it as master...

I took the zip off completely

it acted weird at frist but now that OS X and 9.2 are installed everything seems ok

thanks for the help

Macnn comes through again

Forum Links
Forum Rules