Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Final Cut 4 Purchase

Final Cut 4 Purchase
nate_02
Senior User
Mar 5, 2004, 01:37 AM

I want to upgrade my PowerMac to FCP4 from FCP3. Is right now a good time seeing as how FCP4 will be a year old in a couple months? I'd hate to buy it and a new version come out right after.
-nate

nate_02  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2004, 01:41 AM

I'm going to post this in the software forum as well seeing as how that's where it probably belong, but I wasn't sure how many video people look around in the software forum.
-nate

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2004, 11:47 AM

You'll probably get more FCP traffic at the 2-pop forum. MacNN is good for general Mac-related stuff, but the Digital Video and Audio forum doesn't get a lot of traffic.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2004, 06:21 PM

I think it's possible that we'll see a 4.5 version before the next major version.

FCP 4 has taken a lot of flak amongst professionals vs. previous versions for it's stability...not all of it being strictly FCPs fault. 10.3, the G5s and QT have really been the factors, but an unstable FCP has been the result.

beanbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2004, 07:05 PM

huh? From my experience it's way more stable and reliable that FCP3. The only bugs I've noticed are with the time remapping, but I don't really use that too much.

Most of the instability was with FCP 4.0, but the 4.1 patch fixed all that. Dont' think there's been much talk of instability since then

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 11:52 PM

I would wait until NAB (mid april). That's usually when professional broafcast and video companies release new products. That's where Apple announced the last versions of FCP, DVD Studio Pro and Shake last year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules