Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.5: Internal Modem dropouts - NOT FIXED

10.2.5: Internal Modem dropouts - NOT FIXED
Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 05:11 AM

arrrggghhh!!!!
As we all know, PPP connections with Apple's internal modems, went to the shites with 10.2.4. Random disconnections, and just receiving data dropouts being the norm.

10.2.5 was supposed to have fixed this. Initial reports were indicating this was something they were concentrating on.

well then, after installing the update (which was fun downloading by the way with these dropouts...). I dial up, and 3mins in - no more data being received. Not a thing has changed

Cheers Apple!! Should I send you my next bill on my modem phone line?

ps. I am, of course, referring to this issue: Unable to Establish or Maintain Dial-Up Connection
( Last edited by Nathan Adams; Apr 12, 2003 at 05:23 AM. )

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by Nathan Adams:
arrrggghhh!!!!
As we all know, PPP connections with Apple's internal modems, went to the shites with 10.2.4. Random disconnections, and just receiving data dropouts being the norm.

10.2.5 was supposed to have fixed this. Initial reports were indicating this was something they were concentrating on.

well then, after installing the update (which was fun downloading by the way with these dropouts...). I dial up, and 3mins in - no more data being received. Not a thing has changed

Cheers Apple!! Should I send you my next bill on my modem phone line?

ps. I am, of course, referring to this issue: Unable to Establish or Maintain Dial-Up Connection
Man... that's one hell of a problem... I can't believe that has not been fixed by now!

Nathan Adams  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 05:30 AM

hmmm
it seems to have improved at this point
i switched on error correction again, turned off wait for dial-tone, and turned on sending PPP echo packets.
It hasn't dropped out yet, and it is infinately faster than the net was before.
time will tell though if the problem really has been fixed, or if I've just got lucky this time (which would happen from time to time)

Hemi425
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 10:14 PM

I didn't have a whole lot of problem with it with 10.2.4, but my dad just had dropout and 15 minute disconect, a couple of times, under 2.5, though i haven't yet had a problem with it. Yet.

I've been on for an hour so far and haven't had a problem with it, and i might ask my dad to postpone a call to the isp now though.
If you listen to a UNIX shell do you
hear the C?

WARNING: The above post was not
checked for spelling or grammical
errors.

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 11:59 PM

Nathan, just replace those 6 files (.ppp and .kext) in /system/library/extensions - I am sure you may have read what those files are. This will resolve the disconnection problems. I have done this with 10.2.4 and it soles the problem. I have since updated to 10.2.5 and the connection remains excellent. If you read the details, 10.2.5 claimed to have solved this problem and I have no reason to doubt that as I have had not a single drop since updating. If you need those 6 files, let me know your email address.

My hardware is iBook 700 mHz, 16MB VRAM, and 12" PB, Superdrive, 640MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules