Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My docklings no longer work (10.0.2)!

My docklings no longer work (10.0.2)!
lehman
May 2, 2001, 09:14 AM

WTF? I go to use the iTunes dockling and it didn't work. I dismissed it at first because I thougght I just had to reinstall iTunes or something. But then I'v e tried other dockling and they have lost function as well. Help!

Zoro
May 2, 2001, 11:37 AM

Try quitting the dock (dooble click on the dock item in process viewer)
Try docklings one at a time.
If you find a conflict, send a mail to the docklings authors.
If that does not work, send feedback to Apple

------------------
MacTV & SetiDockling

foobars
Mac Elite
May 2, 2001, 12:54 PM

If none of your docklings are working it means the Dockling Server app has quit or crashed. This sometimes happens because 3rd party dockings are not very advanced right now and are prone to conflicts. Either restart, logout, or restart the Dockling Server another way to regain functionality.

RcktBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 01:11 PM

Hi,

I have had the same experience after installing the 10.0.2 update on my 500Mhz Ti PowerBook. None of the following docklets are functional now after the update: Airport Signal Level, Monitors, Battery Level, and iTunes Controls. I have sent feedback to Apple, regarding this issue, and I hope they will fix this problem in a timely manner. I did find that restarting the computer will temporarily return functionality to these docklings, but after some amount of time, they revert back to their non-functional state. Sorry, I haven't determined a more reliable work-around for this problem yet.

RcktBoy.cmg

RcktBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 01:13 PM

Oh, and I have also tried quitting the dock in the process viewer, but that also does not help.

RcktBoy.cmg

RcktBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 01:22 PM

Lehman,

After reading a post about the magic 8 ball dockling not working on someone else's machine, I removed it from the dock, and tried quitting the dock via the process viewer once more. This time, I was surprised that functionality to the docklings previously mentioned had returned. So, I am curious if you happen to have the magic 8 ball residing in your dock, as it could be the culprit for this problem.

RcktBoy.cmg

Red Commet
May 2, 2001, 01:45 PM

Yep your right i just trown out all my third party docklings and restarted the dock with process viewer and all works fine again...
Thanx for the tip....

lehman  (op)
May 2, 2001, 01:58 PM

Curiously enough I do have the 8 ball in my dock. lol. I wish I had time to see if that was the problem but I have a 7 page research paper due tomorrow and OS X doesn't support my Epson 900 printer.

I'll get back to you when I have a moment of free time.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
May 2, 2001, 02:40 PM

I had to remove all docklings and return them to the dock. All of the work fine, but the Dock returned an error on each stating that they may no longer be compatabile. I use volume, itunes, 8ball, and monitors. All work fine.

themexican
May 2, 2001, 03:35 PM

Space gives the error message, but continues to work just fine. Tried quitting the dock, removing space and putting it back, but I can't get the error message to go away.

lehman  (op)
May 3, 2001, 02:34 PM

Well, after pulling an all-nighter and subsequently dozing off in class, I finally was able to come back and right the problem. All docklings works fine now. It was the 8 ball that was the problem. Thats to everyone for their help.

foobars
Mac Elite
May 3, 2001, 02:48 PM

Guys you do not need to quit the dock everytime. Instead, quit the "dockling server" application. Also I doubt the 8 ball was causing these problems...

Forum Links
Forum Rules