Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A VOTE/REQUEST FORM FOR APPLE

A VOTE/REQUEST FORM FOR APPLE
theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2001, 02:43 PM

Hi,

this is both a vote for requested features in OSX and a request form for the same. Let us do it (for once in an orderly fashion) as follows:
Simply number each request starting from the most important to the least important. If Apple does actually check in here from time to time then they would probably find it hard to make sense of the chaotic post here. And if they actually do bother to copy and parse what we write, it'll be a lot easier for them with numbered entries.O.K.? I'll start.

1.Speed. Aqua/Quartz needs to be speeded up. Screen redraws are not fast enough.
2.Responsiveness. The way and the speed with which the system responds to user events must be much much quicker on al systems.
3.Memory management needs to be improved. The system simply uses too much memory.
4.Options to switch off transparency, live scrolling, live window resizing, live dragging etc need to be included. These are gimmicks.
5.Features from the classic Mac OS such as spring loaded folders and window shading need to be included.
6.Some form of file marking, i.e. labels needs to be included. I know from W.Sanchez' article on the darwin FS that the kernel already translates classic path seperators and UFS file seperators back and forth transparently. This could also be done with file meta data.
7.Finder functionality. A form of copying and pasteing similar to windows would be VERY useful.
8.Keyboard shortcuts. There is a definte need to improve the amount that can be done from the keyboard.
9.Dock. The dock needs to be positionable without having to resort to the CLI or shareware.
10.Included software should NOT be broken. I'm refering to the included PHP here.

Theoleins requests now finished.
weird wabbit

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2001, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
4.Options to switch off transparency, live scrolling, live window resizing, live dragging etc need to be included. These are gimmicks.
I agree with you except that point. Live scrolling, live dragging? Ya, real useless gimmicks. I think the scroll bars and Windows should be plain black and white.... colours are gimmicks.

People who think that turning these things off will get a faster OSX are obviously not programmers.

------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2001, 03:03 PM

deleted

[This message has been edited by theolein (edited 06-02-2001).]
weird wabbit

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2001, 03:17 PM

No, just because I have a different opinion then yours I am not f�cking around or a troll. I don't agree with one of your points and I am free to say so. People need to understand that the effects is not what makes OSX slow and it sure as hell is not live scrolling.

Anywho, here is my request:

1) More animations

And I see that you have just edited your last, very hostile post saying that I am "f�cking around" and so forth. If you want Apple to read anything just send it to them with the feedback form on their site. They do not search the MacNN forums for votes. This is a discussion board and we can discuss your points
------------------

[This message has been edited by Severed Hand of Skywalker (edited 06-02-2001).]

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ntsc
Senior User
Jun 2, 2001, 03:20 PM

1.Speed. Aqua/Quartz needs to be speeded up. Screen redraws are not fast enough.

2.Responsiveness. The way and the speed with which the system responds to user events must be much much quicker on al systems.

7.Finder functionality. A form of copying and pasteing similar to windows would be VERY useful.

10.Included software should NOT be broken. I'm refering to the included PHP here.

3.Memory management needs to be improved. The system simply uses too much memory.(tho frankly its not the memory management that is the problem)

5.Features from the classic Mac OS such as spring loaded folders and window shading need to be included.

9.Dock. The dock needs to be positionable without having to resort to the CLI or shareware.

The rest I do not consider to be problems at all. They will be fixed or the aren't affecting me at all.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2001, 03:30 PM

Theolein, don't be mad.
You are the starter of this topic, it doesn't mean that you can control people's opinion.
' Severed Hand of Skywalker' was not rude at all, so you should respect others saying as well.
BTW, here is my request.

Include your request number 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8.
1. Automatic partitioning for swap space during installation of OS X.

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2001, 03:32 PM

Huh,, when did you change your post? @@;;;;
So fast... anyway that's good.

Terri
Senior User
Jun 2, 2001, 03:42 PM

I agree with just about everything.

So do they here

------------------
Terri Zamore

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2001, 04:39 PM

all of your points, except for 7: please *NO* copying and pasting of files. i use and need the functionality to copy file names as text. give us spring loaded folders instead or come up with something completely different.

number 11: more localization. localized built in spell checker, localized speakable items, keyboard shortcuts that are optimized for local keyboards. -- "go to folder" in the finder is a four(!)-key-"shortcut" on a german keyboard. resetting or force quitting only take three.

[edited for typo]

[This message has been edited by seb2 (edited 06-02-2001).]

Marc2211
Jun 2, 2001, 07:30 PM

If Apple introduced 1, 5, & 6 I would be ecstatic...

------------------
The transition from full-time cocktail party to full time raiding party came with ease, and did add that extra bit of zest and swing to the whole affair...-DNA

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2001, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by seb2:
all of your points, except for 7: please *NO* copying and pasting of files
[SNIP]

[This message has been edited by seb2 (edited 06-02-2001).]
I completely agree with the poster, only for different reasons. Copying and pasting files ala Windows is one of the worst, contrived UI paradigms MS has found. Cut, copy, paste are functions of the system wide clipboard, and the clipboard has never held files. It's totally wrong to taint the functionality of those commands by introducing this "feature." While I understand that OS X needs a mechanism to copy files when the user's using column or browse-in-place modes, there are much better solutions.

Here's a better solution: In column and browse-in-place modes, Apple can reintroduce the shelf, which was a temporary holding place for files in transit. A simple menu command could simply show or hide the shelf, which would appear under the toolbar. That's how NeXTStep/OS did it. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

booboo
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2001, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I completely agree with the poster, only for different reasons. Copying and pasting files ala Windows is one of the worst, contrived UI paradigms MS has found....
I completely agree with you.

Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

booboo
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2001, 07:48 PM

Also point 4 - turning off live dragging, etc.

Handling these 'live' elements shouldn't pose such a problem, once there are sufficient hooks for gpu's to accelerate...After all Windows 95 and a low end graphics card can manage all this on a 3 year old PC....

But I agree, the option to turn off these functions is desirable. For example, if I'm using a cpu heavy app, say running many tracks of audio through virtual processors, I don't want to hear clicks and stuttering on the audio as the cpu maxes out drawing the window, I'd rather sacrifice the eye candy...

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: booboo ]
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2001, 05:33 AM

Sorry, just trying to keep this near the top
weird wabbit

<undotwa>
Jun 3, 2001, 05:25 PM

Live scrolling is an absolute necessity!

Some OS 9 apps don't use it, and I get constantly annoyed.

Take AppleWorks for example... When your doing a WP doc, and you want to scroll down, you don't click on the littl' arrow buttons, you click on the scroll bar and drag down. But what do you find? It leaves a shadow, and you don't know where your going!

My suggestion is, is that when your dragging a window or something, the old window position stays put, but fades into a very heavy transparency.

Also, here's a mockup of the drawers idea:

Sorry bout the platinum, didn't have access to OS X. Pretty cool eh?

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2001, 05:43 PM

Wow, this is finally getting somehwere, those mock up's of yours are a very good idea! What I meant with the live scrolling etc was mainly for people like myself with older machines (333mhz Lombard PB).
weird wabbit

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 05:49 PM

ok...I agree with everything you said concerning the speed issue's
I do not however agree with your "gimmick" statement.
These are not gimmicks..and I don't think it's worth dropping these "features" just to get the system to speed up. (which would not be the case anyway)
If I'd had to choose now between "dropping the visual magic, but with a speed boost " and "keeping OSX beauty and wait just a little longer for the speed update" I would definetly go for #1

I love my OSX ...all the way !

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 05:50 PM

EDIT : aaarrgghhh....double posted again !! 3 times today.
I'm really sorry (there goes my chance at a good rating )

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: Mr_Frost ]

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2001, 06:07 PM

Sorry to be a pain. All I meant was for an option to turn these features off. Just an option. Every body seems to have the feeling that i was asking for them to be removed permanently, which is definitely not the case. I mean someday, I might be able to buy another mac and then I'll want that stuff.
weird wabbit

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 07:33 PM

I hate to point this out but the easiest way of telling apple is www.apple.com/macosx/feedback

This is garenteed to get through and 100 sepearte e-mails will take longer for apple to sort thus..

A. Apple know the list name has no fake names.
B. As it takes longer mentally it looks like more people what that feature...
C. Apple gets big feedback figures people read these and think alot of people use X so they might try it...

Its a cool idea to make a list but please guys if everyone sends in the feedback then Apple will act faster if we don't they won't know what we want...

Cheers Edd

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2001, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by edddeduck:
<STRONG>I hate to point this out but the easiest way of telling apple is www.apple.com/macosx/feedback

This is garenteed to get through and 100 sepearte e-mails will take longer for apple to sort thus..

A. Apple know the list name has no fake names.
B. As it takes longer mentally it looks like more people what that feature...
C. Apple gets big feedback figures people read these and think alot of people use X so they might try it...

Its a cool idea to make a list but please guys if everyone sends in the feedback then Apple will act faster if we don't they won't know what we want...

Cheers Edd
</STRONG>
This is why I started this request form in the first place Edd. When enough people have noted their requests in a form like I asked at the top of the list, I'll copy it, parse it and send the results into apple
weird wabbit

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 09:03 PM

theolein sorry mate I didn't mean offence..

I think idea is good and I back it all the way but all I am saying is once we have decided on a few points then everyone who has posted should send a copy. This will make more of an impact...

That's it.. Good luck with the list.

If I think of anything else to add I will

Cheers Edd

unimacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac
:
<STRONG>

I completely agree with the poster, only for different reasons. Copying and pasting files ala Windows is one of the worst, contrived UI paradigms MS has found. Cut, copy, paste are functions of the system wide clipboard, and the clipboard has never held files. It's totally wrong to taint the functionality of those commands by introducing this "feature." While I understand that OS X needs a mechanism to copy files when the user's using column or browse-in-place modes, there are much better solutions.

Here's a better solution: In column and browse-in-place modes, Apple can reintroduce the shelf, which was a temporary holding place for files in transit. A simple menu command could simply show or hide the shelf, which would appear under the toolbar. That's how NeXTStep/OS did it. . .</STRONG>
I don't want to push this issue too much because I could live with a NeXT like shelf, but just because the clipboard has never held files doesn't seem like a good reason to rule out this feature. If you think of clipboard as holding objects, well then files can be objects.

I've always been under the impression that user testing is the ultimate determination of whether something is good or bad. I used to support Windows users and I can't think of anyone who was familiar with copying and pasting other objects that was confused by copying and pasting files. It's undoubtedly a big time saver.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 11:41 PM

Its dangerous as there is no visual feedback and it runs against ALL GUI conventions. Just because people use it it does not mean it a good idea.

Maybe a shelf with a key-combo so you can see the files move into the shelf but you can use a key command to move them into the shelf to save time...

A compromise? What do you think??

Edd

unimacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2001, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by edddeduck:
<STRONG>Its dangerous as there is no visual feedback and it runs against ALL GUI conventions. Just because people use it it does not mean it a good idea.

Maybe a shelf with a key-combo so you can see the files move into the shelf but you can use a key command to move them into the shelf to save time...

A compromise? What do you think??

Edd</STRONG>
In Windows there is some visual feedback if you're doing a cut, but I like your idea better as long as another key-combo can be used to move them out of the shelf as well. I would also suggest a different key-combo be used to move the files instead of copying them.

One of the reasons I liked this feature in Windows is that it's easy to remember how to move vs. copy. You don't have to have to worry about whether your moving from a server to a local drive or from one partition to another or to another location on the same partition.

Dragging and dropping will give you different results depending on where you are starting vs. where you end up. There are some difficult to remember modifiers that control this behavior, but that's less than ideal.

I think UI conventions are good, but they should serve us, we should not be slaves to them. Occasionally a feature may come along that doesn't follow UI conventions to the letter, but if it increases productivity and does not lead to mistakes by pros or novices than it's OK by me. In this case I think you've hit upon a way to preserve the strengths of cut and paste without violating too many UI Guidelines so that's even better!

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2001, 05:43 AM

Thanks guys, I don't mind taking the trouble to parse a statistical list with user names when the list has grown to a decent size, and sending it in to apple. The last job I had I used to do stuff like this in PHP and Perl so it's good practice. I really hope a lot of users log their wants here *hint* so that apple can see that their users are trying to actively mold the new OS' future.

As for a shelf where one could drag any kind of object, that would be a huge timesaver. I second that one.
weird wabbit

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 09:09 AM

Thats exactally what I was thinking unimacs..

A shelf with combo keys for copy in & out and move in&out.....

When the files are in the shelf they are phsically move to a temp folder along the lines of the trash folder.

ie a hidden folder on every partition which has them in and when you drag out they are moved to the new postion and if the are moved to another partion then the originals in the temp folder are deleated.

That would be great.....

REVITUP
Jun 4, 2001, 10:17 AM

I'm sorry, but I think the mockup idea for dragging transparent windows is absolutely awful. I may be wrong in how I'm understanding this, but the last thing we need to throw the windowing server is to drag a partially transparent window rather than a solid one. Have you ever tested the difference in speed of dragging a 50% transparent Terminal window versus dragging a solid one? It creates much more work for the display engine having to both compute, and display the transparency in real-time.

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2001, 12:49 PM

My God I am evil trying to keep this up at the top. But....
Revitup, I think you misunderstood him. he meant that the window to be scaled, dragged or something should become transparent, and the bit that is being scaled, dragged etc is solid. I don't think I agree with it but it is a novel idea.
weird wabbit

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jun 4, 2001, 01:19 PM

Did I miss something here? WTF is this rating system. Don't really care but never saw any info about this before it happened. javascript: x()

Now back to topic:

My main beef with X is support for THird party apps that need access to the I/O. Major complaint from software developers has been that Apple is not coming forward with the info they need.

I agree with
1.Speed.
2.Responsiveness.
8.Keyboard shortcuts.
I actually want multiple docks ALA. what was described by MOSR not so long ago.

I disagree with:

3.Memory management needs to be improved. The system simply uses too much memory.

That's UNIX - I believe the main reason for poor performance with low amounts of ram is cos of VM. RAM is sooooo cheap now who cares?

4.Options to switch off transparency, live scrolling, live window resizing, live dragging etc need to be included.
6.Some form of file marking,

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2001, 02:37 AM

All I ask for is GUI Speed improvements, A multi-threaded (cocoa) Finder and a shelf for moving files, its a pain in the a$$ to move files in OS X!!!!

All the other stuff can stay, I like it!!! it makes my iBook2 look nicer!!!!!!

Besides OS X is very spiffy on the new iBook, its very usable. I actually converted My PC-user best friend to Macs, he is getting the new iBook DVD in about a week.. and OS X is what really SOLD him, He just doesnt believe I never turn off my iceBook, Its always sleeping......

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: RodriCO2000 ]
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

macmicke
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2001, 04:47 PM

The copy & paste ala windows is absolutely awful. Just had to get it of my chest.
The real MacMicke�

unimacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2001, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by macmicke:
<STRONG>The copy & paste ala windows is absolutely awful. Just had to get it of my chest.</STRONG>
Why do you think so?

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2001, 05:41 PM

While Apple does read these forums, it takes feedback submitted via the proper form on their website for your ideas, suggestions, and new feature requests to become totaly legal for them to use. It would be a FAR better idea to send your ideas/complaints/suggestions to Apple via the form. Not only does it then make it legal for Apple to use your ideas, but it makes it far easier for them to guage support of a particular idea. After all, the submissions are put into a massive database and grouped by type, computer, topic, (hell, even comsumer vs. developer feedback is flagged) etc.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2001, 01:31 AM

Submissions to Apple's feedback:

The Windows preference: Apple puts a "window" preference in every app's preferences. Doesn't involve the mess of system wide preferences, and could quite possibly lay down a good lead for other app vendors to follow; everybody would know that to change a window's behaviour, you go to the window preference... this request has been bought about by the fact that there is NO consistent window behaviour across the whole OS, and often the behaviour is extremely annoying. For example - I keep the mail viewer window shut by default so I can still see my desktop. I keep the activity monitor window up. If I click on the mail icon to check new mail, not only does the mail viewer obscure the activity window (meaning I don't know if it's download a huge message or there's no mail) it obscures whatever I was working on before. A preference to specify window behaviour when you click on an icon in the dock would be much appreciated.

Get a key stroke going to lock the computer. Maybe just have the option from the power key - along with sleep, shut down etc have "lock computer".

Bring spring loaded folders back.

Spring loaded windows for column view.

Dragging files through folders in the dock (ie like spring loaded folders, so you can put a file into a folder that's nested in a folder on the dock).

Contextual menus - where's Get Info in the finder?

Have the window control widgets bold (or brighten the colours, or something) their symbol (ie "X", "-" and "+") when clicking the mouse will actually acheive the action. At the moment, the mouse can get close to the widgets, and they'll do the "X" "-" "+" but clicking doesn't do anything.

An OS 9esque customisable Apple Menu. Or at least a folder like Recent Items where we can put stuff we want. Also, the ability to add control for a system preference that goes in the Apple Menu like Location (if I use a G4 desktop, I'm not going to change location much, but I might like easy access to the Network system preference).

Preference for a "lockable" dock so that novice users cannot remove stuff.

A universal keystroke command for switching open windows within applications (as opposed to command-tab, which just switches applications). Suggestions: command-tilde or option-tab. eg So I can go through all the open mail messages I'm typing. But it needs to be universal, so it works in IE and OmniWeb and everywhere else.

A keystroke to "Hide Others": just like hide is command-h, how about hide others being command-option h or command shift h.

Files in the desktop folder should also be shown on the highest level of the open and save dialogs (with the hard drive icons, just like in OS 9) instead of in the desktop folder.

Typing the first few letters of a file name doesn't work in list view.

Having the back button take you up a folder, instead of to the previous folder (wherever that may have been)

Moving the print center into a more logical position. The Apple Menu or System Preferences (or both) would be great. Having it as a separate application is not typical.

Dialogue telling you how big the trash is when you're about to empty it.

"open file with..." contextual menu that brings up a list of apps you can open the file with, instead of just using the default

when in single window mode (and icons) and you click on one of the links (ie documents, applications, etc) reset the window size to what it was before. I have lots of icons in applications, and I like to keep the window size just right so I can see them all. However, when I start up a new window, it goes instantly to the "computer" folder listing all the volumes. There are four icons there, and the optimum window size is obviously different to what would be required for the applications folder.

A way to see what's going on as far as AppleTalk users are connected to my machine... ability to disconnect them etc

In preview, add preferences for default size and whether you want continuous scrolling on by default or not. I don't like having to select "actual size" and "continuous scrolling" every time I open up a new PDF with Preview.

Allow the entry of web pages into the open dialogues, so that if you type in (say) "http://room.anu.edu.au/DoM/secondyear/MATH2301/Tutorials/Tutorial08.pdf" into preview, it goes away, downloads the document and then opens it up.

<knagou>
Jun 6, 2001, 08:21 AM

Don't say it is a unix so memory management is ok in osx
I'm using linux/xwindow on a 32megs old pc and it is faster in most case than a G3 300/OSX
I mean process not only gui (which is accelerated under xwindow for instance
so yes we need memory optimisations
the os should use a real 50megs max-max then you take 30 for classic that 80, so 128 is just good to run, 192 cool 256 very cool and 448 a must.
As of today the os run itself in 96megs, with classic in 160megs so 192 is just good, 256 cool 448 very cool and 512+a must the fact it is cheap or not doesn't really matter =) imac mem modules aren't cheap.

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2001, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by SkullMacPN:
<STRONG>While Apple does read these forums, it takes feedback submitted via the proper form on their website for your ideas, suggestions, and new feature requests to become totaly legal for them to use. It would be a FAR better idea to send your ideas/complaints/suggestions to Apple via the form. Not only does it then make it legal for Apple to use your ideas, but it makes it far easier for them to guage support of a particular idea. After all, the submissions are put into a massive database and grouped by type, computer, topic, (hell, even comsumer vs. developer feedback is flagged) etc.</STRONG>
See above
weird wabbit

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
:
<STRONG>

I agree with you except that point. Live scrolling, live dragging? Ya, real useless gimmicks. I think the scroll bars and Windows should be plain black and white.... colours are gimmicks.

People who think that turning these things off will get a faster OSX are obviously not programmers.

</STRONG>
I'm a programmer. It will make OSX feel faster. When people talk about OSX being slow, they are talking about the response time for doing things with the mouse. Fire up iTunes; re-size the window. Do the same thing with Internet Explorer. See the difference? Select 1500 songs in iTunes under OS9 and move them into a play list. Do the same thing in OSX. See the difference? Run the mouse along the top menu bar in OS9. Do the same thing in OSX. See the difference?

Linux/Enlightenment has had transparent window placement and opaque re-sizing for about 5 years now; nobody uses it because it's fluff that gets in the way of using the computer. Colours do not get in the way. Opaque window moving doesn't get in the way. Almost every part of Aqua that makes it what it is doesn't get in the way; it's just a few pieces.

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 10:38 AM

<STRONG>Hi,
</STRONG>
Do explain. The memory management in OS9 is horribly backwards; in X it is amazing by comparison. Memory usage isn't bad at all unless you launch Classic.

<STRONG>
8.Keyboard shortcuts. There is a definte need to improve the amount that can be done from the keyboard.
</STRONG>
Agreed; plus they need to fix the drive icons so that I can rename a drive just like in OS9.

unimacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2001, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by ink:
<STRONG>

I'm a programmer. It will make OSX feel faster. When people talk about OSX being slow, they are talking about the response time for doing things with the mouse. Fire up iTunes; re-size the window. Do the same thing with Internet Explorer. See the difference? Select 1500 songs in iTunes under OS9 and move them into a play list. Do the same thing in OSX. See the difference? Run the mouse along the top menu bar in OS9. Do the same thing in OSX. See the difference?

Linux/Enlightenment has had transparent window placement and opaque re-sizing for about 5 years now; nobody uses it because it's fluff that gets in the way of using the computer. Colours do not get in the way. Opaque window moving doesn't get in the way. Almost every part of Aqua that makes it what it is doesn't get in the way; it's just a few pieces.</STRONG>
Windows 2000's live window resizing seems to be plenty speedy so I don't think it's a problem with the feature, just Apple's implementation. In fact, it may not be a problem with window resizing itself. It may just be a symptom of a deeper issue with quartz/OS X performance. If this is the case, then turning off live window resizing just masks a problem that still ends up producing sluggish response elsewhere in the system. Better to fix the cause directly and not just treat the symptom.

I'm a programmer too

<Mongrel>
Jun 6, 2001, 05:46 PM

Here's a couple feature sets I'D like to see:

1. I'd like to be able to boot up or restart without 3-finger saluting my computer 5 or 6 times before escaping the infinite "gray screen of nothing but an arrow" state and actually booting into X.

2. To hell with watching DVDs... It would be nice to swap out CDs and actually have them recognized, or at least be able to eject the ignored one back out without having to restart, which brings me back to #1.

3. It would be cool to use my floppy drive or serial ports again. A $300 Apple laser printer is still a $300 Apple laser printer, they could at least guarantee compatibility with their own hardware for a few years...

4. GPUs: USE 'EM!!! I tossed my perfectly good Voodoo 3 in exchange for a Radeon, so I could tear it up in X like I could in 9. I'm back to squat all over again.

5. Font control, seriously. This is not my Grammy's Mac.

'nuff said

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2001, 01:18 PM

Cool, got on the most popular topics link on osx.macnn.com
keep em comin folks!
weird wabbit

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2001, 06:56 AM

Not trying to be a pain, just trying to keep this near the top, so I can get this out to apple in a week or two. I sort of owe it to the people who took this seriously and posted here.
weird wabbit

frog moyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2001, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac
:
<STRONG>

Here's a better solution: In column and browse-in-place modes, Apple can reintroduce the shelf, which was a temporary holding place for files in transit. A simple menu command could simply show or hide the shelf, which would appear under the toolbar. That's how NeXTStep/OS did it. . .</STRONG>
i totally agree - the notion of performing cut/copy/paste operations on files to the clipboard is one of the most ill-concieved, most poorly thought-through abilities on Windows systems. it is because of the inconsistent and falsely consistent metaphors such as this that are like brass claws raking across a slate blackboard to me.

frog moyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2001, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by jamesa:
<STRONG>
Submissions to Apple's feedback:

Having the back button take you up a folder, instead of to the previous folder (wherever that may have been)
</STRONG>
you already have this functionality with both the "custom widget" you can put on the toolbar, and also by command-clicking the name of the folder. keep the "Back" button

<STRONG>
Moving the print center into a more logical position. The Apple Menu or System Preferences (or both) would be great. Having it as a separate application is not typical.
</STRONG>
this suggestion is a very good one, and one i haven't heard anybody mention yet.

<STRONG>

"open file with..." contextual menu that brings up a list of apps you can open the file with, instead of just using the default

Allow the entry of web pages into the open dialogues, so that if you type in (say) "http://room.anu.edu.au/DoM/secondyear/MATH2301/Tutorials/Tutorial08.pdf" into preview, it goes away, downloads the document and then opens it up.

</STRONG>
so are these.

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2001, 07:40 PM

OK you bums, I sorted out who wanted what and posted it to Apple.
Ahmen!
weird wabbit

lehman
Jun 17, 2001, 09:57 PM

What I would like to see is when your starting up the computer you can hold down the X key to boot into X and the 9 key to boot into 9, This way bypassing starting up in one OS just so you can use the other. Of course if are already booting into the OS you want to use you do nothing.

Don't worry, I told Apple.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2001, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by lehman:
<STRONG>What I would like to see is when your starting up the computer you can hold down the X key to boot into X and the 9 key to boot into 9, This way bypassing starting up in one OS just so you can use the other. Of course if are already booting into the OS you want to use you do nothing.

Don't worry, I told Apple. </STRONG>
Try holding down option at startup.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2001, 05:20 AM

What I want-

1) Spring Loaded folders!!!
2) Classic support for my MS scroll wheel 2 button mouse
3) Column view to open a folder when you have a file hovering over-kinda like spring-columns. I got used to the columns and actually like them-just wish I could see size/date info in the column view.
4)Not sure about memory management-but I have 512megs and photoshop/classic has never been slower. In 9, I've never seen a status bar in photoshop.
5)Mail.app to support news reading
6)Font utility of some sort to view them
7)Speed improvement overall. needs to be quite faster to be used full time for a graphic designer
8)nit-pick- why isn't the finder prefs (desktop pic, icon size, etc) combined with the general controls in the system prefs?
9)Window shading. When I work in photoshop sometimes I window shade my file to see my instructional text (text editer app in background) to see what text i need to include on a web site design. As now, I have to move the window over and look, then move the window back. A lot easier to double click, read, double click.
10)I do think that the fading menus has to be an option. It just feels so slow. In 9, we have Power Windows (transparent and fading menu app) and I took that off because that made 9 seem slow?!!? So if that's true, imagine how slow it would be in a really slow X?
11)A better Disk First Aid-maybe a defrag option in it
12)Dvd
13)AQUA (platinum) SOUNDS!!!!! I got so used to paltimun sounds that I miss them in X!!
14)Mail.app to have a sound indication that mail has been sent.
15)Better Mail.app handling of attachments.
16) How many "desktops' do we need? Root has one and the user has one. This is very frustrating when searching for a file in classic (i'm not a unix guy so I don't know if that's neccessary or not)

I think that's all for today
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2001, 04:59 PM

damn back button

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: KidRed ]
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules