Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > System file

System file
palws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 1999, 11:09 PM

I've had my iMac DV for a week now"11/7",and its GREAT!! BUTT--after a few days the system file got damaged"my own fault,converted some Q/t sounds over to system sounds not knowing what I was doing". What I did was reinstall the OS 8.6,and everything seems to be alright.Is there a way to replace a new copy of just the system file?
BTH-while I'm typing this "what HD noise"I have to look up to see if its cooking.
Also while I was scrolling thru the msgs,I noticed a small tapping sound,I clicked my mouse"stop animation"and complete silence again!

George Orville
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 1999, 01:52 PM

I assume you do not have the capability to backup your hard drive....Here are the steps I use to install an item from the OS CD 8.6..
-----------------
Full Install Pieces>SW Installer>System SW> Mac OS 8.5 or 8.6>Installation Tome or Tome
---------------
Double click Tome>Hilite item>Menu bar>expand

It works for me always

George
[email protected]
bigbiker

Ster
Nov 17, 1999, 09:31 PM

hi,
that only works if you have 'tomeviewer' installed. most people don't. anyone tell us where to get it?
-ster

George Orville
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 1999, 11:04 PM

Hi STER,
What you are telling me maybe true about requiring ToMeViewer inorder to satisfy my previous post.... I just did the steps in my previous post, without Launching ToMeViewer on my own, and copied what I needed from the OS CD.. What you are implying is that the OS CD opened ToMeViewer...Even though I have on my Hard Drive, I did not make it active.... I don't know were I got the SW, but it is a Apple SW product.....I just checked Version Tracker and they have it listed at;;;
http://www.versiontracker.com/

George
bigbiker

Forum Links
Forum Rules