Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DV- CD problem

iMac DV- CD problem
Zordab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2000, 10:12 PM

I was in an angry mood and left a nasty message on here last week about the issue of Apple quality but have calmed down. I don't wish to offend you all. I have a problem with my iMac playing music CDs. The CD always cuts out once per CD late in the playback. I have reinstalled the operating system and tryed many software fixes such as increasing memory for the CD player. I have just got back from the shop with a new drive and it still cuts out once per CD. Does anyone have any comments on this?. I think it is a problem I will just have to live with. Maybe OS 9.1 will fix it. I am running 8.6.

spanky23
Jan 23, 2000, 02:51 PM

I too had problems with the Imac DV SE recognizing both data and audio CDs, I also had the drive replaced, and haven't had new probs, but I would consider updating to 9.0 (especially when 9.0.1 or 9.1 comes out) I also believe apple released a upgrade for the audio drivers or the DVD driver that might help

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2000, 09:24 PM

That sounds like a problem that is not common (to my knowledge) I would definetely try to have the unit replaced if possible.

Zordab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2000, 11:51 PM

Apple has told me that after the drive is replaced and the repair guys say it's OK that that is all they can do. I don't think they will take it back. In fact, I don't think I can even call them anymore to get tech support on this problem since they say they have done all they can. I can still install software with this thing and still have hope of a remedy in the future.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2000, 09:42 AM

Have you tried alternate software for playing CD's? I suggest you download & install the demo for Soundjam MP. This is an excellent product for playing cd's & mp3's, with loads of cool features. This may be a solution for you if your problem is software related. Go to http://www.soundjam.com/getit/index.html to download the demo version.

John Boettner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2000, 01:50 AM

Same problem here with my DV running 9.0 with all the current audio updates. Long Pat Metheny CD screws up after about 45 minutes of playing time. Gets garbled and won't recover. Going to SOS Apple this week. Wonder how this thing plays In a Gadda Da Vida the long version???

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2000, 10:50 AM

John,

Easy, you're going to freak-out the "kids" here with CDs ;ike those!

Scott

PS - Cool last name!

lehman
Feb 15, 2000, 01:19 PM

There is a firmware update for the iMac DV DVD drive on Apple's website. It really improved the reading performance of my DVD.

Zordab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2000, 07:47 PM

I have found a simple fix for my problem. I added up the time it took for a CD to cut out and found it was about 30 minutes if I didn't touch the computer and just let it play. I noticed Sleep was set to 30 minutes but didn't usually kick in if a CD was playing. I set sleep to "never" and have not noticed the problem since. I called Apple tech support over a dozen times and they couldn't think of this simple soulution!

Forum Links
Forum Rules