Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Browser memory

Browser memory
palws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2000, 10:47 PM

Hi,is it alright to increase you're browser memory by 100% ? Is that to much?
Bill

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2000, 11:09 PM

i'm assuming that your browser is either IE or Netscape and in that case you are probably allocating around 24-30M of RAM after your 100% increase, if so, this is okay as long as you have the RAM to burn (and why not 'burn it' if ya got it) and you may note more speed and more stablility if you were having stability issues. it is not a panacea though, and could act in the reverse, causing instability if you were stable in the first place. been known to happen.

if you are using iCab, you really don't have to increase its RAM, but it uses so little i guess why not if ya feel like it.

and a side note: using a RAM disk as browser cache does not really juice-up the performance of IE or iCab in my experience though i have read reports of others to the contrary, however it does help Netscape to use a RAM disk for its cache in my experience...

i have both IE and Netscape's RAM allocation increased by about 75% and i use iCab at its default allocation and it is fast and stable.
I use IE and iCab primarily, they are both very stable and i keep Netscape around for viewing comparisons etc only...

palws  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2000, 12:34 AM

wlonh thanks.I'm using Netscape,and its at
a little less than 20M.I do have anough ram.
I was just concerned about 100%.
Thanks again.
Bill

Forum Links
Forum Rules