Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > "About This Computer" Window.................

"About This Computer" Window.................
disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2000, 11:53 AM

I posted this just for conversational fun but the first question is kind of important to me......

1. I just realized I don't have Mac OS 8.6.1 which I had on my iMac Rev A. Now I have just 8.6 and for some odd reason, I can't seem to find it anywhere on Apple's site. Can someone help me out?

2. How much Ram does your OS use with or without Virtual Mem on?
Mine is a little over 40 Megs with VM on.

3. How many items are in your extension folder?
Mine says 453 items in the info window.

[This message has been edited by disectamac (edited 02-20-2000).]

palws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2000, 12:56 PM

one:Mine also says"8.6"in the ASP or about
this computer.
two:With VM on around 36/37.Off about 44/45.
three:Mine says 419.
Bill

Now a question for you.A month or so ago,you posted a link about what kind of stereo speakers you have/or had.I can't seem to find it.The reason why I'm asking is,I'm thinking of upgrading and would like to compare.

iMacMan
Feb 20, 2000, 01:10 PM

One: There is no such thing as OS 8.6.1. The version after 8.6 is 9

Two: 53.3 but I got lots of GUI stuff installed.

Three: I only have 197 items in my extensions folder. You 2 should trim yours' down.

disectamac  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2000, 02:35 PM

iMacMan,

1. That can't be. I remember upgrading my rev A to 8.6.1 off of a link from this site. I'm pretty sure I wasn't dreaming it....I only looked at the 8.6.1 in the About This Computer window a good 50 times while I still had my much missed bondi.
2. Is that 50Megs with VM on? what kind of GUI stuff are you using?!? Mines is a little over 50 with VM off.
3. Amazingly my iMac took about 45 sec or so to startup when it was cleany new. Now it still only takes about 1min and 15 secs with all the extensions and startup things to include iControl telling me it's gonna break my knees if I don't pay soon

iPaul UK
Senior User
Feb 20, 2000, 02:55 PM

Not sure about the OS 8.6.1 thing.. And I take it your not talking about OS 8.5.1 instead? Although I do know that my old 8200 (Yes an 8200 does exist!!) which is running OS 8.6 it actually says OS B1 8.6, where as my iMac DVSE says it's running OS Z1 8.6

System mem with VM off is around 40MB
Extension count is 135. 453 extensions seems extremely high!

Dave Woodfill
Feb 20, 2000, 03:11 PM

1 you need to trim down your extensions folder, find what you don't need and get rid of it. 2 if you go in your extensions folder and open the voice folder toss some of the voices in there, they take up big parts of your system memory, especially the high quality ones. Another thing is game sprockets. If you don't use a kesington mouse throw the games sprocket away, etc... Then maybe peek into your system suitcase and throw away unneeded sounds away. I have nine on my computer now and it takes up a little more then 8.6 did. My os9 takes up 28.4mb w/ vm on. I have 188 extensions.

palws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2000, 03:18 PM

Mine says 453 items in the "info window"

In my Get info"419",but there's only 155.
Bill

Savvy
Feb 20, 2000, 07:03 PM

I have some more info on the whole 8.6.1 debate. That version was never really released as an update, it was really for some of the G3's. Similar to how there is a special version of 8.6 for the iMac DVs. I looked all over Apple's website once for info on 8.6.1, and found none. It is also similar to how the new G4's announced at MW/Tokyo have a version called 9.0.2, but I can't download that for my iMac

disectamac  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2000, 08:22 PM

1. I knew I wasn't losing my mind about 8.6.1.....except I forgot where I downloaded the update from and I don't remember what it did as an update....dammit!!!!....oh well, I'll live.

2. I don't really know why, buy you ever notice how the amount of Mem your OS uses increases with the more apps you have open?

3. I have 453 items in the extensions folder, 169 extensions. You guys are right, I think It's time for some system folder spring cleaning. sorry about the missleading 453...I chose get info on the extension folder and just assumed it was 453 extensions without thinkin twice.

[This message has been edited by disectamac (edited 02-20-2000).]

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2000, 03:27 PM

a) B1 8.6
b) 37.4 Megs (Stripped to Minimum)
c) 149

namannik
Senior User
Feb 21, 2000, 05:00 PM

1. MacOS 9
2. 27 MB, VM on
3. 194 extensions

shawnb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2000, 07:28 PM

Mac OS9 (iMac Rev B.)
175 extensions (after extensive pruning)
22.9MB for the OS (varies a bit each boot up) with VM on

AusRob
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2000, 02:39 AM

Disectamac, to your ? "why does the sys os mem increase with more open apps" Well many applications have their own extensions associated with them which are loaded at startup but are not "in use" and therefore do not use RAM. When the app is launched the extension gets loaded for use and is recognised as taking up RAM in the sys. In some cases when the app is quit the extensions remain "in use" and continue to use sys memory. There is a app called MacOS purge which closes app related extensions to free up RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules