Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMovie Problems

iMovie Problems
sleadley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2000, 07:21 PM

Even with the new iMovie update I have found that the transitions do not work as expected. If you make an edit and then add a 10 frame transition (like a dissolve) then the incoming video is moved later by 10 frames. Anyone that edits video knows that with transitions they should happen 1/2 before the cut and 1/2 after the cut so that sync is maintained.
There is also a problem with audio "jumping" in volume if 2 clips have differing volume levels.
I have found that editing the way that the tutorial shows means that you use up the slots in the main window very quickly and you end up putting stuff in the trash, which you cannot retieve after re-booting the program, that you might want later. So I prefer to use the copy and paste method of working, prefering to copy material from the source clips and pasting it into the timeline.
It would be nice if the timeline could be zoomed in/out, it gets very crowded with a long timeline
Simon L

MacPhan
Jan 11, 2000, 09:00 PM

Simon,
I agree with all your comments (as a DV SE owner/user) but iMovie for all it's shortcomings is still pretty cool. The transition issue is one I've dealt with too but all you need to do is to dump the transition, trim your scene and then re-do the transition. Regarding audio, this is my frustration: not being able to do a split edit. I think the fact that Apple has introduced a low end product like iMovie and the public has embraced it, will spur a LOT of new software companies to hurry products to the market to compete. As this happens the features will surely improve and the cost for products like FCP and Premiere will drop. As competition increases Apple may also enable more iMovie features... at least let's hope so.
Rick

miketaylor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2000, 08:07 AM

Agreed. I only really use my DV/SE for iMovie editing,(most of these repies, emails and any letter-writing is done at work - i dont even have a printer at home). So I have had time to play with it and think you've got it spot on. No - it's never going to replace FCP or Avid or whatever - But its free and it works. It probably can't handle 2,000 clips at once - But it wasn't designed to. OK you're probably banging your head against a wall if you want to use it with JVC products and both JVCs and Apple's attitude ("It's their fault") isn't goping to change soon. But as a low cost, high performance, easy to learn piece of software that anyone can use - it has to be in a class of its own. I spend my life watching and cutting news vts at work for an international 24 hour news station. I have all the toys at work to play with - and i'd still rather be at home with my little sony camera and my dvse and imovie. I love it. I'm not saying it'll be all things to all people, but I really hope third party suppliers start chipping in with bits and pieces and Aplle continue to expand it organically...
regards
[email protected]

lehman
Jan 12, 2000, 06:29 PM

iMovie 1.0.1 is avalible at Apple's web site. It has more and better transitions. www.apple.com/imovie
There is also a plugin pack that includes even more transitions.
1.0.1 really improved the different transitions though.

lehman
Jan 12, 2000, 06:29 PM

iMovie 1.0.1 is avalible at Apple's web site. It has more and better transitions. www.apple.com/imovie
There is also a plugin pack that includes even more transitions.
1.0.1 really improved the different transitions though.

sleadley  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2000, 08:14 PM

Don't get me wrong I am completely aware that iMovie is not an Avid, but at the very least the transitions should work logically, and even for editing a home movie, (which is what I have been doing) the interface is a little too simple, and there are a few bugs that marr an otherwise brilliant piece of software. Version 1.01 has certainly addressed the most pressing problems, but a little more work will indeed make this,"the Next Killer app". My reason for posting here is to create some constructive criticism so that the powers that be, can see wher improvements need to be made
Simon L

htree1
Jan 12, 2000, 11:35 PM

To: Mike Taylor: You mentioned that the imac DDV se won't work with JVC Digital camcorders. Is this correct? I have been searching the net for information pertaining to the imac and any possible problems and ease of use. I been thinking of buying one to use with my new JVC digital camcorder. If y ou are right you just be came my iceberg and like the Titanic it seems as if I am sunk. I would like to purchase this wonderful machine and use it with my JVC (pass the take back to the store point). Does anyone have any suggestions. Help raise the titanic.

Thanks
Howard
E-mail [email protected]

cjwj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2000, 05:00 PM

anyone trying to use imovie with a b/w g3? i keep getting type 12 crashes...any ideas?

PolarWave
Jan 13, 2000, 10:34 PM

Htree1, there are a number of folks using JVC equipment out there. You might want to check through the old topics. There is one right now at http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/001304.html Sounds like there are some compatibility issues.

[This message has been edited by PolarWave (edited 01-13-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules