Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac OS 9 - Should I do it?

Mac OS 9 - Should I do it?
MS
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2000, 01:53 PM

This has probably been bantered about a little bit, but now that it has been around a while, can anyone offer me an opinion on whether or not I should upgrade from 8.6 to this?
I have heard they had some bugs, but most have figured out how to work around them. Since I just got my imac a few months ago, I could still upgrade for only $19.95. Is it worth it? My imac is running fine and I am not sure I want to mess with a new operating system.
I mainly use my imac for imovie, Word, internet, childrens games, and a few adult games like Madden and Quake.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2000, 05:35 PM

Don't do it, man . . I wish I had kept my $20. Unless you want the multi user, encryption, or some other new features. I could have lived without 'em. OS9 crashes more than 8.6 did for me, and 8.6 runs games faster (although there's not much difference). Wait for OS X.

-cotton

lehman
Jan 12, 2000, 06:15 PM

I say go for it just for the fact to use iTools. If you do a complete install of it, (I mean totally reformat your hard drive) you should install OS 8.6 first then os 9 right after if you have an iMac DV. The first time I reinstalled just os 9 there was no DVD software, so I had to do it again. My machine has not crashed once yet either.

lehman
Jan 12, 2000, 06:15 PM

I say go for it just for the fact to use iTools. If you do a complete install of it, (I mean totally reformat your hard drive) you should install OS 8.6 first then os 9 right after if you have an iMac DV. The first time I reinstalled just os 9 there was no DVD software, so I had to do it again. My machine has not crashed once yet either.

tsheley
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2000, 06:34 PM

I also say go for it. The first time I installed it I did it over 8.6 and it was very slow. I then reformatted the drive and did a clean install and everything works great. I have not crashed yet.
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

fallen
Jan 12, 2000, 07:51 PM

I'm in the same situation, having bought a DV with 8.6 a month or two ago, and my inclination, since Apple extends the $19.95 offer for six months, is to wait until 9.0.1 is out. Despite all the delays, it sounds as if that should happen within the next month; I assume that that's what they'll then ship, and most of the 9.0 bugs should be worked out, no?

Forum Links
Forum Rules