Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sending Japanese from Safari..... not working?

Sending Japanese from Safari..... not working?
Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 12:29 PM

As anybody else noticed this?
On many sites, I can't send Japanese text from a form or text field properly. Either it gets sent as nothing at all, or a string of ????????????????
(noticed trying to post on japanese message boards and so forth).

Other browser don't seem to have a problem with this.... so what's the deal?

Ry�kan
Jan 29, 2003, 01:48 AM

I'm not Japanese, but my wife is. She hasn't reported this problem. I'm sorry if this sounds too obvious, but -- have you set the language preferences by going into "System Preferences," and then "International" -- ? That was all we had to do.

When you do this, a new menu appears at the top of the screen. When in English, you get an American Flag, for Japanese, a rising sun.

I'd play around with the international preferences.

Good luck --

Nathan Adams  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 02:36 AM

I've long used the kotoeri keyboard - that's not the problem
When I type it in to the text field or whatever, it appears fine. It's after submitting that - and seeing what shows up on say the message board afterwards, that's screwed up.
This is on boards that display other peoples messages fine in Japanese, hence I'm led to believe that it's Safari that's having a problem submitting the japanese text correctly

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2003, 03:10 AM

Yes, I've noticed a problem with this as well. I have no idea why it happens but Safari can't seem to handle it. Strangely enough, on a web site I made myself for entering data into a database, I can input Japanese just fine. It could have something to do with the fact that I specifically set the character encoding to UTF-8. I don't know what the character encoding is for these boards (The W3 HTML validator can't seem to find one). That might be the issue.

あっ!私は判かりますよ!

Set the encoding in the View menu to UTF-8 and it will post correctly.
( Last edited by Xeo; Jan 29, 2003 at 03:19 AM. )

forkies
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 03:13 AM

Xeo and I are in the process of making a walkthrough/FAQ for the new Zelda game, The Wind Waker (or Kaze no Takuto). We created a web interface to enter data about the game like the names of islands and such, and use Safari to enter Japanese text.

We suggest trying to choose View > Text Encoding > Unicode (UTF-8) in Safari.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Forum Links
Forum Rules