Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9.04 bugs

Mac OS 9.04 bugs
exa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2000, 10:21 PM

First off, I'd like to say that my system hates to restart (as it loves to crash while I attempt doing so, guess I'll zap the pram or delete finder prefs or something). Secondly, the icon bug still exists... 32 bit icons are displayed at 32 bit, 8 bit icons are displayed at 8 bit, and what are displayed at 16 bit colors? 8 bit icons! And this did not happen 8.6, I believe.

arekusu
Apr 5, 2000, 01:30 AM

Yep, still has icons bug in thousands of colors. Label workaround still works.

Also, 9.0.4 still ships with a broken ATI Video Accelerator (enlarged video has funky chroma on Rage II hardware.)

And, I still can't get the ixMicro TwinTurbo128 to work with my 500Mhz G4.

Zyri
Apr 5, 2000, 01:35 AM

OK, that was wierd! I just installed 9.0.4, restarted, and CRASH bus error. So I tried restarting with extensions off, and CRASH bus error. So I restarted with the OS 9.0 CD and looked inside the System Folder and saw something interesting...
First a little background:
Traditionally, Apple has released a new OS version, and then comes out with new hardware. There are "slight" imcompatibilities with the new hardware, so they through in an "Enabler" which modifies the loading of the code slightly so that it counteracts the incompatibility. Then a little while later, another hardware update, so a new, different Enabler for that model, and so on. Then they release a universal OS update which unifies all the Enablers for the different models into the System software so that they can all work from the same OS. They've been doing this for years!
Now, back to the story:
So I look in my System Folder, and see the ADDITION of an enabler (PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4)! Wait a minute, updates are suppose to eliminate enablers, not add them. So I removed it, restarted with extensions disabled... all good! Restarted with all my usual extensions enabled (eye candy and all!)... all good! Did somebody screw up with the installer or what?

Sorry for the long post, but others may be having the same problem. BTW, I have a G3 300 MT, FYI.

thanks

Hiram
Apr 5, 2000, 09:53 AM

After updating to 9.0.4, there is a recurring alert saying: "Error creating data directory: -48". OK-ing it makes it go away, nothing freezes, but it's there. On a PowerBook G3/333.

mfiske
Apr 5, 2000, 10:21 AM

I am NOT a happy camper. If nothing else, 9.0.4 has partially broken Alsoft's DiskWarrior 2.0 (the DiskWarrior Extension won't load, and appears in the "startup parade" with a red "X" over it). On top of that, that very, VERY annoying sound input/ modem bug STILL exists (you know, the one where, if you connect using the built in modem, the sound input device switches to "modem," and you get to hear all of the usual modem sounds (even AFTER you've connected) through your speakers, until you MANUALLY switch sound input back to "Built-in mic"). I would've expected, after a wait that long, that AT LEAST that particular bug would've been fixed. Shame on Apple. Actually, they probably don't give much of a hoot about the "Classic" OS anymore, and it shows...

[This message has been edited by mfiske (edited 04-05-2000).]

mfiske
Apr 5, 2000, 10:28 AM

Oh yeah. On top of the previous stuff I mentioned, the modem sounds (since I'm just about FORCED to listen to them) don't even come out right. They're kinda "gurgly," with a very rhythmic popping sound accompanying them. In fact, my Appearance Sounds seem to be affected by this as well. I have Timbuktu Pro installed, and everything else is a stock piece of software. Besides, the gurgling continues whether Timbuktu is installed or not. I ALSO have an iSub hooked up, so maybe this is part of it. It would just be nice if there was maybe SOME way of getting this $1000 piece of equipment to work properly, you know?

stageop
Apr 5, 2000, 11:39 AM

I downloaded the 9.0.4 installer (the software updater couldn't find any new software) and double clicked it. It got three-quarters of the way through "updating new drivers" and froze. I could not get past this. I have a 8500/180 and never had a problem updating a Mac OS until now. Apple needs to release an update to the update.

ScottyN
Apr 5, 2000, 12:06 PM

The only bug I have seen so far may or may not be related to 9.0.4 - When I updated, I dutifully went to the software update control panel as I was told to do by Apple, for the 9.0.4-specific stuff. About a minute into searching, my screen froze, pointer and all. I restarted and the same thing happened again. Anyone having problems with Software Update control panel since updating? I had just upgraded to Software Update 1.1.1 a few days prior via the control panel.

-Scott

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2000, 12:43 PM

alsoft has posted a fix for DiskWarrior and MacOS 9.04, see their website

Keda
Senior User
Apr 5, 2000, 12:59 PM

I am also getting the 'error creating data directory; -48'

I causes no problems that I can see-other than annoyance.

P
Apr 5, 2000, 01:22 PM

Modem sounds: You can disable modem sounds in the Modem control panel, if they bother you.

Disk driver update: You don't really need it on a 8500, and you can disable driver updating in the Installer.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jhubert
Apr 5, 2000, 01:36 PM

I just wanted to say that I read the posts here prior to updating and was concerned about all the problems people seem to be having with 9.0.4. I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I first tried the Software update control panel, but that took for ever and cancelled it before it found anything to update. I then downloaded the manual install of 9.0.4 and ran the installer.

After the install I restarted and everything seems good. No crashes on start up, no errors, nothing! I happy!!!
Oh, by the way I have a B&W G3 300 w/ 192mb ram

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2000, 02:46 PM

Whenever you update, be sure to run the installer with a base set of extensions (Mac OS All). Make sure nothing else resides in your Ext. and CP folders, don't rely on Extensions Manager to disable them.

Also, copy your old System Folder to the desktop before running the updater. That way, if it goes all to hell, you can trash the new system and put your old one back in.

Upon updating, select (one by one) your third party extensions and CP's and restart. It takes a few hours, but you have the satisfaction of knowing that you can detect problems instantly via this process.

This is the smoothest way to update. Good luck.

UPDATE: I update with no problems, other that I did get the gray screen once, I reset Zapped the PRAM, and came up with no problem. I think it was due to my second system folder on the desktop, so I put it in the trash while I checked out my third party software. Luckily for me, they are all compatable with the update.

[This message has been edited by GORDYmac (edited 04-06-2000).]

kptchris
Apr 5, 2000, 03:40 PM

well if you had gone and looked at VersionTracker today, you'd have noted that Alsoft has posted an updated extension to fix that

Originally posted by mfiske:
I am NOT a happy camper. If nothing else, 9.0.4 has partially broken Alsoft's DiskWarrior 2.0 (the DiskWarrior Extension won't load, and appears in the "startup parade" with a red "X" over it). On top of that, that very, VERY annoying sound input/ modem bug STILL exists (you know, the one where, if you connect using the built in modem, the sound input device switches to "modem," and you get to hear all of the usual modem sounds (even AFTER you've connected) through your speakers, until you MANUALLY switch sound input back to "Built-in mic"). I would've expected, after a wait that long, that AT LEAST that particular bug would've been fixed. Shame on Apple. Actually, they probably don't give much of a hoot about the "Classic" OS anymore, and it shows...

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2000, 03:44 PM

and if YOU had READ the thread, YOU'D know that i already posted that info on DiskWarrior

DOH!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2000, 04:28 PM

ScottyN,
I had the exact same freeze problem when using the SWupdate control panel. So, I did a direct download from Apple. I now have both the OS 9.04 and DVD 2.2 intstallers on my machine but am going to wait a couple of days to see if any major issues and/or workarounds come out.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 5, 2000, 04:46 PM

I installed 9.0.4 and i've had no problems whatsoever, it seems much more stable than 9.0 was. I have a b&w g3 450 w/ 256 mb ram. i used to have to restart with 9.0 about 3 times a day. with 8.6 id be up for days without a restart.

------------------
Jonathan Haddad

exa  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2000, 05:55 PM

Apparantely all the OS 9.04 update does is update a few extensions/control panels and put that system enabler in the system folder (as discovered on the top of this thread). By removing the enabler, you disable os 9.04 and head back to 9.0... which wasn't mentioned in this thread.

mel
Apr 8, 2000, 08:00 PM

Well I don't think so....given that the new Open Transport, various control panels, extensions, OpenGL, ATI, Sound Manager, et. al. that contain fixes have been installed. Historically the enabler only adds/fixes support for the latest hardware and if you don't have the latest, you loose nothing.

>By removing the enabler, you disable os 9.04 and
> head back to 9.0...

BarryM
Apr 8, 2000, 09:19 PM

Are you, by chance, running SETI@Home on a RAM Disk? If so, reinstall it. I saw the same thing. The update had wiped the RAM Disck clean.

Originally posted by Hiram:
After updating to 9.0.4, there is a recurring alert saying: "Error creating data directory: -48". OK-ing it makes it go away, nothing freezes, but it's there. On a PowerBook G3/333.

george3
Apr 9, 2000, 09:25 AM

I have had no problems at all with 9.0.4 (B&W G3, 512 Mbytes RAM), WallStreet PB (192 Mbytes RAM), except that the MicroTech SmartCard reader won't work with VM turned on. I try to keep the number of additions (extensions and control panels) down to what I really need, however.

Goatee
Apr 11, 2000, 12:25 AM

what is a B&W G3??
please, I'm short on ideas guessing what B&W stands for. (it can't be 'black & white', can it?)

:?

dvs
Apr 11, 2000, 04:10 AM

B&W = Blue and White, referring to the casing of the 98/99 G3

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2000, 03:39 PM

Those of you who have removed the enabler... put it back in. It contains fixes to the system suitcase that makes the OS 9.0.4 (the update is not just the new extensions/control panels)

I know, the updater should physically alter the System Suitcase, but in this case, they put the new changes in an enabler file instead.

Person Man

kamprath
Apr 11, 2000, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by arekusu:

And, I still can't get the ixMicro TwinTurbo128 to work with my 500Mhz G4.
I was able to get my TwinTurbo128 card from my old UMAX s900 to work in my G4 450 by placing it in the last (bottom) PCI slot. It would not work in the first two slots. No explanation why . . . anyone?

Michael Kamprath
--
Michael F. Kamprath

MSylvester
Apr 11, 2000, 09:52 PM

I have a PowerComputing PowerCenter 150, upgraded w/ a MAXpowr G3 running at 266Mhz. Mac OS 9.0 worked flawlessly, but when I went to 9.0.4 the thing froze up after about 1-2 minutes everytime I logged on to the Net (I use IE 5 & OE 5.02).

I ran Norton Utilities and checked the disk and fixed any problems found. There were some problems in the System folder. Then I rebuilt the desktop. Now all is great - no freezes or crashes since. I'm happy again.

yohan2
Apr 17, 2000, 08:17 PM

Well. I have loaded 9.0.4 on our iMac rev. "b" and have had probs with the Miccrotech Cameramate reader. Have tried all the ext. combos and purged PRAM and rebuilt desktop.... Got it to work once (don't know how) but can't again, just freezes up or else the drive seems to disconnect (light goes out and no disk mount).....

*Any ideas?????

Forum Links
Forum Rules