Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how is jaguar performance on a pismo?

how is jaguar performance on a pismo?
PowerBub
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 03:13 PM

i recently acquired a 400mhz G3 pismo (has 384 ram) and am quite happy with its performance in OS 9 and am very hesitant to upgrade to jaguar because of (1)the cost of jaguar (2)performance hit

is anyone out there running jaguar on a 400mhz pismo? i'm very curious to hear how big the performance hit is versus OS 9.
please cook my steak again
je suis american

hippy
Banned
Dec 11, 2002, 04:00 PM

I've been running a 500mhz Pismo since 10.0 up to and including jagwire and it's been brilliant, It has been passed down to my partner as I now have a tiBook but it has proved more than adequate for profession web development and graphics work...struggles a bit with photoshop though.! I'd recommend getting as much ram in her as you can afford though..

have fun....

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by PowerBub:
i recently acquired a 400mhz G3 pismo (has 384 ram) and am quite happy with its performance in OS 9 and am very hesitant to upgrade to jaguar because of (1)the cost of jaguar (2)performance hit

is anyone out there running jaguar on a 400mhz pismo? i'm very curious to hear how big the performance hit is versus OS 9.
I have OSX10.2.2 on a G3 Pismo 500MHz, with 1GB RAM. with PS7, AI10 MS OfficeX and Quark (on OS 9.2.1 on a sep. partition) All runs well. I recommend increasing RAM as it does make a difference running the apps.

milhous
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 04:44 PM

With OS X, you pay a price for the modern plumbing. You get the protected memory, awesome window manager, pre-emptive multitasking, and so fourth.

If you're content with 9 and have all the apps you need to run in 9, then there's real no reason to move to X.

Keep in mind however that software developers will begin to shift their development to a X-only enviironment over time.

As always, you can see for yourself how it runs by installing X on the same hard drive that 9's on. You'll then be able to boot back to 9, then to X and so fourth. You can even run 9 in Classic mode if you want.
F = ma

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by PowerBub:

1. Then go sell your fluids to various organizations because OS X is worth it. Or you could pirate it, but that would be unethical, and you may end up in prison, become some big man's bitch, and be fined (in no particular order). And no OS would be worth that.

2. I do more in X at apparently a slightly slower pace than in 9. Really, 10.2 isn't terribly slow on your Pismo, although I do think 10.1.5 seemed to be at least as responsive. I couldn't even ponder to volunteer to boot into 9 and dread that an application crash would likely mean a system crash, too.

P.S. I have the exact same Pismo 400/384.
I, ASIMO.

PowerBub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 05:51 PM

thanks for all the help. now i think i want to put jaguar on the pismo, but the question becomes paying for it. this leads me to a couple of questions about student/os x licensing in general, which i started a thread about in the OS X section of this forum:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=135720
please cook my steak again
je suis american

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2002, 06:25 PM

Something to consider is a G4 upgrade for $300. Plus OS X.2 and more memory (although 384 MB is actually OK for light work). Now IS the time to upgrade to OS X.2 too, since X.0 was unusable, X.1 was more buggy and slower.

One of the reasons I suggest upgrading the hardware is because my iBook 600 feels a little bit sluggish. I'm hoping the addition of the G4 will make a Pismo 500 feel a bit more spritely, since OS X does make use of Altivec.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2002, 07:14 PM

My girlfriend has a Pismo 400 running 10.2 with 384... actually it might be 192MB RAM

Performance is acceptable for light usage - all she really uses are Word and IE. And *cough* AOL *cough*

It is slower than 9 but she won't give it up because she loves a) the "squishy" dock, and b) that it doesn't crash. I must get her some more RAM though

BTW, on my old Lombard (400Mhz, 384MB), I upgraded to a Bluechip G4/500 and it made a very noticeable difference running OS X. More than acceptable, even with the 66Mhz bus.

FWIW.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 11, 2002, 10:10 PM

Well, I run Jaguar exclusively on my Pismo (400MHz/192MB/6GB), and it runs surprisingly well despite my acute lack of RAM. The small hard drive is, however, a serious problem because it's full, and when OS X runs out of hard drive space for virtual memory, things start to crash... but I digress.

Performance compared to OS 9 is definitely slower, but you have to weigh whether the lack of crashes, and pre-emptive multitasking, make up for that or not. Also note that battery life under OS 9 is appreciably longer.

Also, while Jag is definitely slower than 9, it's eminently usable. It's only once you go back to 9 that you notice how much speed you lose.

tooki

P.S. My poor Pismo will be getting more RAM and a bigger hard drive for Christmas.

Paul S
Senior User
Dec 12, 2002, 01:23 PM

I've got a Pismo 500 w/ 256MB running 10.2.2 and it's very, very usable. I used to run it on a Lombard 333 w/320MB and the performance difference is amazing. With the faster processor and doubel the cache, it was a very nice improvement.

hippy
Banned
Dec 12, 2002, 02:01 PM

Pismo's are cool...esp with jag...Mine has seved me well and lined my wallet nicely...

Forum Links
Forum Rules