Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > really bizarre beeping problem

really bizarre beeping problem
PowerBub
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 06:11 PM

okay, my powermac 800 started experiencing a really bizarre problem. approximately every 30-40 minutes, a loud beep comes through the speakers. i can identify no causes whatsoever. i restarted, etc, but nothing happened. no apps are open and it will go BEEP! any idea what may be causing this?
please cook my steak again
je suis american

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 08:58 PM

For what it is worth I get a beep or two when I reboot. I too have no idea why. But, I do have a suspicion. I have all 4 PCI slots full and I suspect one of the PCI cards is to blame. Do you have any PCI cards installed????????

PowerBub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 09:52 PM

i don't have any pci cards installed. today, the beeping stopped. really, really strange
je suis american

PowerBub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2002, 12:37 AM

i was wrong, it still beeps! (i just had the sound turned down, man i'm dumb) so yeah i'm still having the same problem. i opened up console and though nothing strange happens at the time of the beep, i did notice this when logging in:

CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
loginwindow.000393861a48.plist -- /Volumes/Bravo/Users/adam/Library/Preferences/ByHost/
The parser will retry as in 10.1, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
2002-12-11 20:29:33.705 loginwindow[340] CFLog (0):
CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
<plist resource in resource fork> of bundle: /Applications/Utilities/ATI Utilities/ATI Monitor/

it goes on a bit longer, but is pretty repetitive. i searched google for some kind of hint as to what was going on and the little i found suggested it was a problem with some kind of program, which i guess would be the ATI thing? this didn't make sense to me since i have the standard issue radeon 7000 AGP with my 800mhz QS 2002. i just updated to the latest version of the drivers, but that didn't fix the problem.

i have NO idea what to do, short of a reinstall, which i do NOT want to do. i thought reinstalls every couple of weeks were a a thing of the past?

any help much appreciated, thanks
je suis american

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2002, 10:42 AM

if it's a beep or two at startup, those may be the power on self test of the machine. That would indicate either no RAM installed (1) or incompatible RAM (2). You may check the memory installed and how much is actually recognized.

The other thing it may be is the harddrive. Some Maxtor harddrives go bad and beep twice, sometimes at startup, or wake from sleep. This may temporarily freeze the machine or completely lock it up, or not.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

PowerBub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2002, 04:10 PM

latest development: the beep is coming from the speakers, and the computer isn't even involved! tonight i turned off the computer, but the beep continued. i'm so confused. i'm going to call klipsch and see if it is some kind of code from the speakers.
je suis american

:XI:
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2002, 08:28 PM

maybe ellen fiess has posessed your computers!

PowerBub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2002, 11:52 AM

i am very embarressed to admit that the noise was coming from my smoke alarm...it needed a new batter. /me hides his head in shame
je suis american

iEvolve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by PowerBub:
i am very embarressed to admit that the noise was coming from my smoke alarm...it needed a new batter. /me hides his head in shame
LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL

I almost choked on my food and died, please put up a warning for people to swallow their food before reading your last post.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2002, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by iEvolve:

LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL

I almost choked on my food and died, please put up a warning for people to swallow their food before reading your last post.
*ROTFL* *LMAO* *LOOOOOOOL*

Funniest post of the YEAR!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules