Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Newer eMacs noisy?

Newer eMacs noisy?
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 12:16 AM

There was some discussion about 6 months or so ago about the eMacs being quite noisy (loud fan, I guess). Anyone who has a new 1ghz model, bought in the last month or two, who could comment on the noise?

ponami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 08:49 AM

Bought a new 1ghz emac today nice machine but the fan is noisy.
I think I will try to block off the rear where the fan is to block some noise.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by ponami:
Bought a new 1ghz emac today ...
OK ... so, can you tell us if the hard drive is a 7200rpm or 5400rpm ?? (Check the model number in system profiler .. you can then easily google search on the model to see what its specs are). Gracias

Also, I know that xCode comes on a disk when you buy Panther retail. Did an xCode disk come with the eMac's software bundle ??

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 04:10 PM

i got my 1ghz emac back in june-july...its a nice machine but the fan is noisy. i just crank up my itunes

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 04:33 PM

My eMac is somewhat noisy - I have to have it sleep at night otherwise it keeps me up. But during use, it's pretty non-intrusive. Not a whine or screech or anything, it's a low pitched sound like moving air.

The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda ATA V, which is 7200 RPM. Speedy!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda ATA V, which is 7200 RPM. Speedy!
Thanks .. was your eMac just purchased or have you had it for a while? I read some alarmist poster on another site saying the brand new eMacs had gone back to 5400rpm whereas the last generation had 7200rpm. Just trying to find out for sure.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 03:17 AM

eMacs have had 7200 RPM hard drives almost as long as iMacs have had them - iMacs got them in February, and eMacs got them in the next revision after that, which was in May. Mine is a 1 GHz Combo purchased in mid-September.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ponami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 07:14 AM

My emac has a 7200rpm seagate drive. here's the web page.
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...81,559,00.html

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 09:59 PM

I bought my eMac 1GHz Machine today and it has a Maxtor 2F040L0 hard drive, which is 5400 RPM. Bummer.

x.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by iXavier:
I bought my eMac 1GHz Machine today and it has a Maxtor 2F040L0 hard drive, which is 5400 RPM. Bummer.

x.
Hmmm ... bummer indeed. I looked up that model number and it appears that it is a 40gb drive. Does anyone with the 80gb drive have any input. I was planning on paying the 50 simoleans to bump up to 80 anyway ... so if its 7200rpm I'll be happy.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 01:21 PM

The eMac's fan IS loud. I was a bit surprised at how loud it was but I suppose that is a small and, so, how to run at a high RPM. I'm like Luca, where I need to sleep or power off the eMac at night but otherwise it stays on.
Agent69

serranot
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 03:36 PM

Actually, it's not the fan that is loud but the sucking sound from the air entering the front of the machine. It's a lot quieter when the machine is not on the swivel stand.

BTW, I've had both a 700 and now 1ghz eMac. The fan is quite audible, but it's personal preference whether it's annoying. I wish it were quieter, but for the money it is easily tolerated by me. Plus, I have found the eMac to be noticably faster than a comparable imac.
T-bob

bstieritz
Nov 1, 2003, 03:51 PM

Hey Wiz,

Own a 1ghz emac w/superdrive, bought around march of this year, and it's a bit noisy . . . I doubt they've changed for the better in the recent months. However, the sound is not unbearable . . . Not even something you'll really notice after a few days with the machine. Basically I'd compare it to a box fan set on its lowest setting, sitting in the corner of the apartment. Slight but you know it's there. I certainly wouldn't let it keep you from buying the machine.

And, I would't recommend covering up the vent in the rear in any way like suggested by another writer . . . this just doesn't seem very intelligent with a computer who's parts are enclosed in such a tight space.

Enjoy the machine if you end up purchasing.

cheers,
brian

ponami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 01:04 AM

The fan in my emac superdrive (1 week old) is to loud I can hear it in the next room as a low level hum.
I would like it to be quieter.
Does anyone have some answers to getting the noise down.
I have measured the heat coming out at the back of the emac and it stays at a consistent 96deg F.
Other than this the emac is great computer at a great price.

Mr.Clicky
Nov 4, 2003, 05:59 AM

The noise reminds me of the hum of air-conditioning in an airport lounge at 4 o'clock in the morning.

Tolerable but not what you'd request from the concierge

Forum Links
Forum Rules