Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Window Transparency

Window Transparency
twoworads
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 03:08 AM

You all seem to know your stuff, so I was wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on my query...

I like my desktop. I use Visage with MatrixGL, Helios, Fluid, or Flurry screensavers running as the desktop. I want to see the desktop through the Finder windows. However, I can't seem to figure out how to make such a transparent picture, not even in Photoshop CS. They all seem to come out black within the Finder window. This idea would culminate into every file and folder labeled so that the text would easily appear over the transparent Finder windows.
Anyways, if you know how to create transparent pictures, or even a simple neon glow effect around the edges of the window leaving the center transparent - that would be cool, too. So any pointers would be great.

Thank You,
Sam Schroeder
??

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 08:51 AM

Sam, I'm completely clueless on this one. All i can do is offer some suggestions to try.

1. Tiff image with an alpha channel?
2. PNG with transparency?

Any one else have a clue?

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 09:23 AM

I would guess images in finder windows are overlaid over the background of that window so if it does support transparent images then it would show white or whatever colour , not a hole through the window.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
I would guess images in finder windows are overlaid over the background of that window so if it does support transparent images then it would show white or whatever colour , not a hole through the window.
This is correct.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
While this is correct for finder windows, it DOES work for desktop images - if you make them transparent, you can see the inside of your monitor!!! Believe me...

...NOT

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 12:59 PM

yeah badidea is right it does work with monitors, but only ADC.

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 05:54 PM

Sounds like WindowShade would create the effect you want, but you would have to make them transparent every time you open them. (At least I don't know any way to set it otherwise)

Dragon T
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 08:22 PM

as I understand it... at the moment.. only the title-bar (and corners, with a 'theme hack') of the window can be made transparent through to the desktop.
The capability for completely transparent windows have not been built in to the system at this stage.

Desktops can be made transparent... or at least in OS9 they could.
If I remember correctly, I think the active texture pattern used to show through the transparent desktop. I'm not sure if anyone has tried this in OSX.
(certainly worth a try!) =)

You were talking about seeing an animation or movement through a transparent layer.
This would be only physically possible with a combination of Quartz and the right hardware. I can't remember the hardware cutoff point for this to work.
D . R . A . G . O . N
. .
T . O . N . G . U . E

twoworads  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 09:08 PM

I tried an alpha layer and a png in CS before starting this topic. I didn't know if there were other things available. Is there? But, thanks "Dave-O."

If there is such a layer at the back of windows, between the colors and backgrounds in windows and the desktop itself - preventing transparency, then would shapeshifter, thempark, etc. be used to combat such a nuisance in this case?

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules