Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > X11, iTunes, and 10.3.5

X11, iTunes, and 10.3.5
moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 11:59 PM

I recently updated to 10.3.5 and it's been sucking supremely, so I'm going to try to figure everything out before I do a reinstall.

Basically the two most annoying problems I've had are:

1) X11 refuses to load. It will start, the icon will appear, bounce in the dock, stop bouncing, stay for a few seconds, then quit. Anybody else having problems with 10.3.5 in this? I'm trying to run Nicotine (a SoulSeek client) in it, so that might be an issue.

2) I've been getting random hard crashes, but the one thing they always have in common is that iTunes is always running. Usually what happens is that everything suddenly stops, I can move the mouse but nothing responds to any clicks, this lasts for approximately 15-20 seconds, then it will unfreeze, music will play for about 3 seconds, maybe one mouse-click action will occur, and then it freezes again, and this goes on indefinitely until I reboot the machine. (What was really weird was that it always happened on REM tracks for the first four or five times...)

Anybody have any idea what's up with this? Should I just go ahead and reinstall 10.3.4?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 01:13 AM

It's God telling you to quit stealing sh1t before John Ashcroft busts down your door
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 07:33 AM

I'm using X11 and iTunes right now. I've got a 6 days uptime, and I really enjoy 10.3.5 so far.. really great speed on my G4 400.

Maybe due for a DiskWarrior/any other disk utility and than a repair permissions?

LarsCA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 10:15 AM

Just updated to 10.3.5 and I'm having similar problems. To me it seems to be crashing whenever I tend to work faster than the computer. It has happened a few times when using iTunes, but the last time was when I was playing a game.

The one good thing about this new OS is that it reboots A LOT faster than the 10.2.8 I'm coming from.

I repaired permissions yesterday and so far no more crashes.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by LarsCA:
...whenever I tend to work faster than the computer.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 04:45 PM

I've tried repairing permissions, but didn't really help. I'll try again...

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 06:49 PM

I use Cocktail for the maintenance every now and then. Do it all in one go.
BTW: I just solved a problem with Help Viewer spiking CPU usage. Second time this have happen in 10.3.5 for me so far, thought a little maintenance was all needed. Troubleshooting OS X is piece of cake.

.. If Cocktail doesn't solve it, reseting PRAM solves many weird problems. If that doesn't work either, it can be a preference file gone bad in ~/Library... etc...
( Last edited by sniffer; Aug 26, 2004 at 06:57 PM. )

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 01:46 AM

I just reformated and installed the combo update, things seem to be going smoothly now. I suggest backing everything up, don't try archive install though, that just gave me pink lines in menus and a lot of crashing before it even got to the Mac OS X labeled screen. Yah... sucks to be me the last few days. This is by far the worst upgrade Apple has had in a while.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Yah... sucks to be me the last few days. This is by far the worst upgrade Apple has had in a while.
No problems for me on my 4 Macs and the 20 or so I admin at my job.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by moofman:
2) I've been getting random hard crashes, but the one thing they always have in common is that iTunes is always running. Usually what happens is that everything suddenly stops, I can move the mouse but nothing responds to any clicks, this lasts for approximately 15-20 seconds, then it will unfreeze, music will play for about 3 seconds, maybe one mouse-click action will occur, and then it freezes again, and this goes on indefinitely until I reboot the machine. (What was really weird was that it always happened on REM tracks for the first four or five times...)
Might that be related to this? I once posted a description identical to yours about the same problem, although I haven't experienced it for a long time now (not since 10.3.2, or maybe 10.3.3). So it's not related to 10.3.5.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 27, 2004, 03:32 PM

1) X11 refuses to load. It will start, the icon will appear, bounce in the dock, stop bouncing, stay for a few seconds, then quit. Anybody else having problems with 10.3.5 in this? I'm trying to run Nicotine (a SoulSeek client) in it, so that might be an issue.
Anybody have any idea what's up with this? Should I just go ahead and reinstall 10.3.4?
I had that same exact problem (under 10.3.3, I think). Deleting all the X11 prefs and caches fixed it.

tooki

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2004, 04:18 PM

Well, deleting the prefs made it last a little longer, but it still shut down. Where are the x11 caches? I can't seem to find any, checked both users/me/library/caches and HD/library/caches, but nothing x11-related.

EDIT: I just used cocktail to clean the sysem and user caches, but still no luck.
( Last edited by moofman; Aug 27, 2004 at 04:47 PM. )

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 09:43 PM

Well, I just reinstalled X11 and all is well now. The freezes have lessened since disabling crashreporter, but still happen on occasion. Oddly, I think the culprit is when other apps interact with or request information from iTunes. As far as I remember, I've always had Sofa running during the crash, and it happened with a different iTunes Song-Displaying program trying to load the other day.

LarsCA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 11:22 PM

Well, I just reinstalled X11 and all is well now. The freezes have lessened since disabling crashreporter, but still happen on occasion. Oddly, I think the culprit is when other apps interact with or request information from iTunes. As far as I remember, I've always had Sofa running during the crash, and it happened with a different iTunes Song-Displaying program trying to load the other day.
I gave up and reinstalled my old 10.2.8 system. I'm having all kinds of problems now though, iTunes has reverted back to some old 4.1 version and won't recognize any songs imported this year, installers don't work, mail keeps promting me for password...

I'm in Hell, but I think I know what I need to do. Back up everything and erase the disk before installing 10.3.5 again. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a Dell...

Forum Links
Forum Rules