Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > replaced my g4 12" hard drive

replaced my g4 12" hard drive
kugino
Oct 20, 2004, 01:57 PM

those of you who are thinking about getting a new ibook and are wondering if you can swap your larger-capacity hard drive into the ibook, yes, it can be done. not terribly difficult, but it takes perseverance. xlr8yourmac's FAQ section has some tips on doing it...if you have any questions, i can probably help as well. i now have a 5400rpm 80gb travelstar...it's a bit quieter than the apple HD and so far, it seems to not run as hot. it's from an older tibook that i sold and i was sorry to see it just lying around, so i did it...

jut fyi if you're contemplating doing it:
- it took me about 50 minutes to remove all the screws, take off the top cover, and replace the hard drive. it took me about an hour to replace everything, with a few stupid mistakes along the way where i had to go back and redo some things...
- i believe it voids your apple warranty, so don't think about it if you're the type to worry about warranties.
- there are 10 screws to remove on the bottom (4 in the battery compartment), about 11 or 12 under the keyboard to remove the plastic covering, and another 17 or so to remove the heat shield to access the hard drive. the hard drive itself is very easily removed/exchanged.
- the hardest parts were removing the top cover (the front comes off easily but the back part (by the screen hinge) is more difficult); replacing all the screws...i actually have one small one left over; replacing the top cover to make sure all the plugs are replaced (trackpad and another one that goes near the left speaker)

good luck!

hkellogg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2004, 04:42 PM

did you clone your previous hdd ?I would want to do that since I have everything set up the way I want in X as it is right now and wouldn't want to have to set up and installi everything I have done here already

kugino  (op)
Oct 24, 2004, 04:37 PM

yep...carbon copy cloner is just the perfect app for that.

hkellogg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2004, 09:38 PM

nice that's great to know along with all the other info you provided

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2004, 12:56 AM

i have an 80gig 5400rpm toshiba with a 16mb buffer in my 14.1 ibook you can put any hard drive that you want to into it they are all the same dementions you just have to format the drive then restart a second time so that there is a disk you can load os x on to i have an external drive that i saved a backup on if you have an ipod it will work the same way one thing is for sure it does take some time. here is a link that shows how to take it apart step by step. http://www.bluap.nl/mac/ibookdual.php Also if you are going to do this be very careful when prying the 3 little pads off of the bottom they are not difficult to break and hard to find if you do. hope this helps anyone trying to upgrade any other questions feel free to ask.

[URL=http://www.bluap.nl/mac/ibookdual.php]
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

kugino  (op)
Oct 25, 2004, 02:07 AM

just a tip...the newer ibooks with the slot-load cd (i.e., the g4 ibooks) are a bit easier to disassemble b/c there are no screws in the cd tray to remove and you also don't need to remove the bottom cover to take off the top (but you do need to remove all the screws off the bottom cover).

if any of you have ever taken apart a bondi blue imac (for ram or cd exchange), i found the ibook just a little more difficult than the imac...maybe not more difficult, but more tedious b/c of all the screws involved.

serranot
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by kugino:
just a tip...the newer ibooks with the slot-load cd (i.e., the g4 ibooks) are a bit easier to disassemble b/c there are no screws in the cd tray to remove and you also don't need to remove the bottom cover to take off the top (but you do need to remove all the screws off the bottom cover).

if any of you have ever taken apart a bondi blue imac (for ram or cd exchange), i found the ibook just a little more difficult than the imac...maybe not more difficult, but more tedious b/c of all the screws involved.
Hello,

I will be replacing my hard drive and optical drive on my 1.2 iBook G4. Please explain more fully about how to remove the top cover. I have no problem with the mechanics of this job, but I don't want to do more than is necessary. If I can skip some of the steps that were detailed above, that would be good.

TIA!

Tom
T-bob

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2005, 11:37 PM

When I did my hard drive the top case was the last thing I could take off. That was the most difficult part. Sorry I don't have any pics but I didn't think I was going to ever be on a forum so had no need to take some. I just logically removed the screws untill it was all apart.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules